Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
South of the Water (Philip T. MIX & MASTER)
This is my mixed & mastered version of the song.

https://soundcloud.com/philipterzis/acti...mix-master

Hope you enjoy! Cool
Any comments accepted Smile
Well done Phil! Nice to hear a pop pock mix that isn't pummeled with compression. The mix sounds powerful and clean, my only reall complaint is that the mix is rather dry, it needs some more reverb on the vocals and possibly the drums. I'm currently not listening to this on my own system (I'm using a different PC with a mid quality 2.1 speaker system) but I'll have another listen on my own system
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Just checked out your mix again on a set of monitors, still holds up rather well, the bass is on the lean side for this style of music, just add some 50-80 Hz to the kick and turn up the bass guitar in the mix. The vocals need some more reverb to help them sit in the mix (nice subtle delay on them, I just noticed that on my second listen), try using a plate style reverb with about 800 ms decay from your reverb plugin of choice (I personally love R Verb from Waves and D Verb in Pro Tools). The drums could use a touch of verb as well, use a similar sounding verb to the vocals so that it sounds like a cohesive unit. The dynamics in your master really shine and add variety to the song. Great job on the mix.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thank you very much for the feedback man! You're quite right about it, it sounds a bit dry. Maybe I'll add somethings and post it again sometime.

Thank you again!