Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
C U Next Time (Since everyone was making a fuzz over "CLA")
Thanks DigitalDrugLord for the feedback. Glad you liked this particular mix of mine.
I agree with you on "if it sounds crap on the consumers systems it doesn't matter how great it sounds in a calibrated system, the mix is crap to 95% of the population therefore it is crap to me too"

Takka thanks for the feedback although I would have liked a few suggestions on how to fix the clashing mess this is Lol so kudos DCP10200 for the suggestions regarding takkas comments. I always use HP filters on pretty much everything I can. Always start on the 100 hz so all the guitars in this mix have that HP on.

*The only "mushy" sound you hear is coming from the bass guys.(if i upload a mix without the bass you will find the remaining parts very clean) the sums kick in at 200Hz. the 3-400hz range is fine. so I cut a few db on the 200hz from snare and a shelf drop on the bass at around 200 as well to clean up some mushiness.(mix would sound anemic without those frequencies so there is no way I'm lowering in excess in that area. I don't like it.)

This link is regarding Takkas comment "it's all a clashing mess" as I found that to be an exaggeration. Out of most of the mixes of this song my mix is very decent in comparison. I dissagree with you there my friend. I don't think it's all a clashing mess and here is a record that could qualify as a clashing mess to your ears, but a proffesional record none the less.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvGCAvOAfM

VERSION3 is a revised version with less mushiness and fixed esses (subtle but noticeable especially if you focus your ears on the bass and snare)
I cant hear anything clashing in that YouTube mix at all
That's why its got half a million thumbs up
(03-03-2016, 05:28 AM)dcp10200 Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 04:08 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 02:38 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Otherwise the mix translates rather well to consumer computer speakers and other small systems.

I remember the first time I observed a big budget label mixer work and all the way at the end before going to DAT, the final judgement of the mix was determined by patching to the mono monitor speaker on a tape machine sitting in a corner (Sony Studios NYC back in 98) and I was told (taught) "in the end if it sounds good through that, then you know you're good outside of the clubs where high powered systems don't exist".

For example: I just purchased a 4K Samsung Blu-ray player that plays special 4K Blu-rays, which is connected to a theater level 4K Sony projector.. If I play a DVD in this system, it will look like a VHS tape because the gear is of very high performance.. It would be unfair for me to judge the quality of someone's video mastering skills in this way..

But 99% of the world consume video on DVD or standard HD quality streaming - If I watched the DVD on a 32inch TV on an Xbox, its going to look great.

I don't listen to the mixes here on studio gear because the world doesn't, I listen on a Macbook Pro (mostly) and maybe a few consumer level headphones.. and many mixes I hear from this forum are really good..

I shake my head sometimes at some posts because the consumer bar has been met IMO on mixes and I think it can be not too productive trying to deliver an impression to another guy's calibrated high end studio gear, with MP3 files.

Just a thought..

Every mix I've done for this site, and school has been done with my AKG k240 mkII headphones plugged into an mbox mini and referenced on a 300 dollar Sony home theater in a box system. I hear you on the whole idea of listening on lower quality audio systems, if it sounds bad out in the consumer level, it doesn't matter how it sounds on a 2000 dollar set of focals.

Exactly..
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(03-03-2016, 08:13 AM)takka360 Wrote: I cant hear anything clashing in that YouTube mix at all

Half a million thumbs up from consumers, not from mixers. I believe that many likes has to do with song arrangement of the band rather than how it was mixed.

Imo That particular song has that mushiness when bass and guitars kick in. It even masks the kick and snare somewhat. The only difference is the guitars are a bit louder and the high end is enhanced better than this. Thats why is perceived as cleaner but None the less I still hear mushiness in the low end .
I agree on mine it was a Lil too much.

Where do you hear the clashing on mine? Or what instruments are clashing onto each other?
(03-03-2016, 03:28 PM)Shul Wrote:
(03-03-2016, 08:13 AM)takka360 Wrote: I cant hear anything clashing in that YouTube mix at all

Half a million thumbs up from consumers, not from mixers. I believe that many likes has to do with song arrangement of the band rather than how it was mixed.

Imo That particular song has that mushiness when bass and guitars kick in. It even masks the kick and snare somewhat. The only difference is the guitars are a bit louder and the high end is enhanced better than this. Thats why is perceived as cleaner but None the less I still hear mushiness in the low end .
I agree on mine it was a Lil too much.

Where do you hear the clashing on mine? Or what instruments are clashing onto each other?

There was some stray fizz on the lead guitar tracks, it's not your mixing that caused it, the raw lead tracks are really fizzy (part of the reason I didn't use em untill the end of the track when the mix got busier). Try high passing them at around 7-10 kHz and using a really surgical parametric filter at 2-4 kHz to remove any stray high frequency whistle.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Here is a song with more views and more likes.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwTZ2xpQwpA

Note: I know mixers that worked on 3-13 million selling albums and their next projects sell only 20K copies because its all about how the public receives the music.. having a great mix enhances the chances at connecting with the public but sometimes the rules doesn't always equal success.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Oh yet here he pipes up again with more rubbish
The main problem is around 75hz bottom end.sidechain the kick and bass to the guitars it will work if you do it right and your problem will be over. Try it.Sidechain the overheads to the guitars too .Play around with things, that is the secret out of the bag.That is how mixes by pro mixers are done .Wake up.
(03-03-2016, 11:10 PM)takka360 Wrote: Oh yet here he pipes up again with more rubbish

And saying the mix is a "Clashing mess" and then not even giving any information as to how to try and fix it was such helpful advice.....
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
dcp10200 I thought you was the one with all the answers