Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Ambitions - Dags mix
Hi Dags,

just listend to the second mix. Sounds really good. Perhaps the snare could live with a bit more "crack", but that is sometimes hard to get.

Where I think you could improve the mix a bit more is the relationship of guitars and vocals. Either bring the guitars up or lower the vocals a bit. As it is now the vocals seem a bit "lost" that upfront - although they sound really good.

Cheers
Artbass
Hi Dags,

Been listening to this track and must agree that it poses quite a challenge to get the mix to sound right and cohesive, not least because of ear fatigue!

In my humble opinion, the first thing that one needs to do is get his hands dirty and start off with some serious editing to the drums and guitars - no amount of mix wizardry will fix erratic timing! I have not tried my hand at it yet, but I am pretty sure it will take the best part of an afternoon (if, like me, you get bored easily and need constant tea breaks Wink ).

After that, I would work on the general drum sound to get it more akin to the genre - you know, clicky kick drum very present in the mix, thundering toms and a heavy-bottomed wet snare, smooth rounded-off cymbals, relatively low in the mix. I would also consider some drum replacement/sample augmenting...

Your guitar sounds are in the right spot and with some timing editing should now gel with the drums and bass. I would play around with eq settings of the different parts and depending on their relative panning mirroring the eq differences to some degree.

The main vocals in your present mix sound a bit too forward and dry and the backings could do with a little more thickening. I would use a reverb that is a little thicker, with a 7 - 11 ms predelay coupled with a quarternote delay that you could bring in during particular accents. Maybe the Main Vox could do with some heavy parallel processing to liven it up a bit (and maybe some pitch correction??)?

Oh, and as an aside, I believe that we ALL ought to be extremely grateful for having Mike keeping up a forum like this and sharing his passion, knowledge, and know-how with anyone that enjoys music technology, at whatever level.

Cheers,

Clinton
I'm a little late on this thread, but I just got turned on to this site.

I think that the drums need work in this mix. The guitars and vocals sit nicely, and the bass is... well it is what it is. The bass tracks weren't that great to begin with. I just uploaded my version of this song, and I used some parallel compression to duck the bass under the kick (which I used a LF generator at 50Hz and 75Hz to bring the kick into the low end where it belongs). I also sampled out the best snare hit out of the recording and replaced all the hits with that one, and blended it into the original snare track - then SLAMMED the snare into a snare bus mix and limited it so that it would NEVER go above the selected DB level.

there were some other tricks too, but you can have a listen for yourself and try to pick them out.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=3107
I feel the mix is missing a little life. The guitars might have too much removed from them. The gate is a little exaggerated for my taste on the toms but the tom levels and overall sound is perfect! The best I've heard in these mixes. Definitely better levels on drums than in my mix. Great stuff!

I would appreciate some input on mine too please, if you'd be so kind!