Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remember December, C U Next Time 2020 mix
I first mixed this track over a year ago,didnt like it so i deleted it some time ago,thought i would give it another go,all coments are welcomed.

Iam at the moment redoing past mixes and thought i would give this one a go.

.mp3    Remember December, C U Next Time cudjoe mix1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

.mp3    Remember December C,U Next Time 2020 mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.68 MB)

.mp3    Remember December C,U Next Time 2020 updated mix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.67 MB)

Hey Cudloe,
I like your version
The vocals maybe a touch too upfront and a touch more top end on the drums would sound cool !
I think the CLA Version of this Great song is a pretty good reference to learn something from.
Cheers Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(19-02-2016, 08:24 AM)thedon Wrote: I think the CLA Version of this Great song is a pretty good reference to learn something from.

learn what....how not to do a mix? in that case it's a good example.

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...4#pid42984

Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
Hi The metallurgist do that mean that my mix is ok???
Thanks guys for the comments i have added more top end to drums and brought down the vocals,which i agreed with thedon,would like to hear from The metallurgist about the level,cheers.

.mp3    Remember December, C U Next Time cudjoe mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

The first mix is balanced pretty well, however, the bass seems to poke out at certain points during the chorus and doesn't seem to gel to the guitar. What I found helped with getting the bass to fit in with the guitars was spliting the bass into a Hi and Low track. Duplicate the bass track and use a Lowpass filter to lob off everything above 500 Hz and on the other track use a High pass filter to eliminate everything below 500 Hz. On the low passed track use some decently heavy compression to remove volume fluctuations in the low end. With the High track, run it through a guitar amp simulator to add some light distortion and gird to the high end and blend it in with the low track. This should give you some more room to work with getting the bass to fit with the guitars without muddying up the mix. The second mix had a similar problem but to a lesser degree. On both mixes there is a fuzzy distortion over the whole mix which is distracting but I suspect it's coming from the guitar 3 4 5 and 6 tracks. Try running them trough an impulse response like Catharsis Fredman or something of that nature and if that doesn't work, use a low pass filter to take away some of the harshness from those guitars. Hope this helps.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
There's totally more than 1 way to do a good mix on this song and the 2 mixes here sounds good.. sometimes it comes down to individual preference but IMO this is one of those songs that could be mixed "good" 100 different variant ways.
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Thanks very much Digi glad you like the mixes, cheers.
(19-02-2016, 08:30 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: The first mix is balanced pretty well, however, the bass seems to poke out at certain points during the chorus and doesn't seem to gel to the guitar. What I found helped with getting the bass to fit in with the guitars was spliting the bass into a Hi and Low track. Duplicate the bass track and use a Lowpass filter to lob off everything above 500 Hz and on the other track use a High pass filter to eliminate everything below 500 Hz. On the low passed track use some decently heavy compression to remove volume fluctuations in the low end. With the High track, run it through a guitar amp simulator to add some light distortion and gird to the high end and blend it in with the low track. This should give you some more room to work with getting the bass to fit with the guitars without muddying up the mix. The second mix had a similar problem but to a lesser degree. On both mixes there is a fuzzy distortion over the whole mix which is distracting but I suspect it's coming from the guitar 3 4 5 and 6 tracks. Try running them trough an impulse response like Catharsis Fredman or something of that nature and if that doesn't work, use a low pass filter to take away some of the harshness from those guitars. Hope this helps.
Thank you dcp I will look into it.

My 2020 mix
Reaper user