Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You And Me And The Radio
Hi guys,

Nice song to work on and it can go many ways I guess.

I tried to clean up some of the bleed on the drum-mics with gate/expander.
On the guitars I left the M80's very deep down and used them just for a little air. Went for the 1st vocal take and used the 2nd only once as a backing vocal. Challenge not to make it sound to compressed, make the song breath and have the right energy.

Happy listening and let me know what you think, or what I could do to improve.

Thanks, and good night.

.mp3    Human Radio - You And Me & The Radio (Mix by Spadaro_Music 14-02-16).mp3 --  (Download: 11.37 MB)

Hello there!

Love the guitars and drums.

I think the bass is somewhat too upfront and the voice needs some automation. I can't hear it as I would want in the soft parts.

Other than that I like this mix Smile
Thanks for your reply. Totally agree! Here's a update:

- Brought the bass down a notch, this opened up the mix a bit too, but the kick started to poke a bit so had to turn that down too.
- Did automation on the vocals and the 2buss to help the contrast of energy of the verses vs. chorusses a bit.
- Removed noise in the bridge in guitars and bass.

What do you think? In comparison it sound better balanced, overall a little thinner. Greetings!

(14-02-2016, 04:22 AM)Shul Wrote: Hello there!

Love the guitars and drums.

I think the bass is somewhat too upfront and the voice needs some automation. I can't hear it as I would want in the soft parts.

Other than that I like this mix Smile

.mp3    Human Radio - You And Me & The Radio (Mix by Spadaro_Music 14-02-16 v2).mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Much better!! I can now hear more of the low end of the toms!! Big Grin

The mix now sounds like it has a lot more space to shine.

Well done!
Both your mixes have a very live sound to them, the drums sound like they're in a big concert hall or arena, nice touch. The major problem I have with the mix however is the lack of High end, It seems like there's a big woolly blanket over the mix and it kills alot of the energy of the mix, especially in the cymbals and the guitars. Did you use any low pass filters on the the individual tracks or on the master buss? If you can't seem to find where the lack od high end is coming from try putting a broad high shelf EQ boost on the master buss in your DAW anywhere from 7-16 kHz, that will add the high end in without being too harsh and abrasive. Hope this helps.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thanks for your feedback. I think you've got a good point. I'm usually a bit afraid of the highs and tend to go for warmer, conservative eq settings. Actually the mix could do with more opening up in the high end indeed.

What I found is that I did a slight 8k shelf boost in the drum group but rolled of some in the guitar group. I gave that back some and put some air in the room tracks of the drums as well. The master buss has saturation in the form of a console emulator and I gave in a 0,5 of 'bass' end and put 0,5 db of 'treble'.

Gave both the bass and the kick 0,5db back in level. All subtile moves but somehow that feels allright.

What do you think? Does it sound better over there? Thanks, anyway!

(16-02-2016, 05:07 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Both your mixes have a very live sound to them, the drums sound like they're in a big concert hall or arena, nice touch. The major problem I have with the mix however is the lack of High end, It seems like there's a big woolly blanket over the mix and it kills alot of the energy of the mix, especially in the cymbals and the guitars. Did you use any low pass filters on the the individual tracks or on the master buss? If you can't seem to find where the lack od high end is coming from try putting a broad high shelf EQ boost on the master buss in your DAW anywhere from 7-16 kHz, that will add the high end in without being too harsh and abrasive. Hope this helps.

.mp3    Human Radio - You And Me & The Radio (Mix by Spadaro_Music 14-02-16 v3).mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Hereby one more version were I backed off the compression on the master buss, and a little saturation on the drum group to get rid of some Essy-ness there.

On to the next track!

(16-02-2016, 11:30 PM)Spadaro_Music Wrote: Thanks for your feedback. I think you've got a good point. I'm usually a bit afraid of the highs and tend to go for warmer, conservative eq settings. Actually the mix could do with more opening up in the high end indeed.

What I found is that I did a slight 8k shelf boost in the drum group but rolled of some in the guitar group. I gave that back some and put some air in the room tracks of the drums as well. The master buss has saturation in the form of a console emulator and I gave in a 0,5 of 'bass' end and put 0,5 db of 'treble'.

Gave both the bass and the kick 0,5db back in level. All subtile moves but somehow that feels allright.

What do you think? Does it sound better over there? Thanks, anyway!

(16-02-2016, 05:07 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Both your mixes have a very live sound to them, the drums sound like they're in a big concert hall or arena, nice touch. The major problem I have with the mix however is the lack of High end, It seems like there's a big woolly blanket over the mix and it kills alot of the energy of the mix, especially in the cymbals and the guitars. Did you use any low pass filters on the the individual tracks or on the master buss? If you can't seem to find where the lack od high end is coming from try putting a broad high shelf EQ boost on the master buss in your DAW anywhere from 7-16 kHz, that will add the high end in without being too harsh and abrasive. Hope this helps.

.mp3    Human Radio - You And Me & The Radio (Mix by Spadaro_Music 14-02-16 v4).mp3 --  (Download: 11.22 MB)

Nice mixes, the cymbals sound clean and clear now! The guitars sound punchy as does the bass, the blanket is gone now Wink! after listening to both new revisions, I'm liking the version without the buss compression more, the compressor must have been soaking up alot of the transients in the mix and causing some of the High Frequency loss. That reverb on the snare is really smooth sounding, what verb did you use on the track out of curiosity?
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Thanks a lot. Let's see, the snare sound is build up mainly from:

-snare-up,
-snare-bottom,
-the hihat track.

These tracks all are send to a verb buss with a stock reverb set on 0,4s, a bit low-passed, then blended back in, the hihat track a bit more then the snare mics.

greetings,

(18-02-2016, 04:19 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Nice mixes, the cymbals sound clean and clear now! The guitars sound punchy as does the bass, the blanket is gone now Wink! after listening to both new revisions, I'm liking the version without the buss compression more, the compressor must have been soaking up alot of the transients in the mix and causing some of the High Frequency loss. That reverb on the snare is really smooth sounding, what verb did you use on the track out of curiosity?

(19-02-2016, 12:47 AM)Spadaro_Music Wrote: Thanks a lot. Let's see, the snare sound is build up mainly from:

-snare-up,
-snare-bottom,
-the hihat track.

These tracks all are send to a verb buss with a stock reverb set on 0,4s, a bit low-passed, then blended back in, the hihat track a bit more then the snare mics.

greetings,

(18-02-2016, 04:19 PM)dcp10200 Wrote: Nice mixes, the cymbals sound clean and clear now! The guitars sound punchy as does the bass, the blanket is gone now Wink! after listening to both new revisions, I'm liking the version without the buss compression more, the compressor must have been soaking up alot of the transients in the mix and causing some of the High Frequency loss. That reverb on the snare is really smooth sounding, what verb did you use on the track out of curiosity?
Seems to be working out great, what is your setup for mixing