Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Bannockburn Mixed by DCP
I've been working on and off on this track and I finally sat down and did a full mix of it today. I used the guitar DIs for my guitar tones ( Guitars 1 and 2 ran through an Orange OD 120 Emulation in Guitar rig, Guitars 3-6 ran through a SLO emulation in Guitar Rig). I split the bass up into a high and low track and distorted the high track for some grind. The snare is a blend of the Snare Sample and the bottom snare mic with some compression and a little eq to remove some mud from it and add some crack. I dirtied up the synths and high passed them at 500 Hz for the Choir and 250 Hz for the strings, I also used Waves One Knob Driver to distort the Choir. The Whole Mix was run through Waves NLS on the Neve emulation followed by 2 Pul Tec EQ emulations to add some depth and clear up some mud and run into some Kramer Tape Saturation. I then mastered the track and parallel compressed the track with Izotope Vinyl and an 1176 emulation. Overall this was a fun mix to make, Enjoy!

Update: I tightened up the Toms by using a gate and some EQ to take out the boominess then used a waves L1 to give them some punch.

.mp3    Bannockburn Master 1.mp3 --  (Download: 6.71 MB)

.mp3    Bannockburn Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 6.88 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
Cool. Sounds like Immortal with mids on the guitars, hahaha Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo

Toms are somewhat boomy but that's it. I would say: Mission accomplished =)

Thanks Blitzzz, I didn't really reference anything for the guitars really, I just went for something that would atleast not muddy up the rest of the track with low end and give a little definition to the trem picking (I just wish the vocals were more guttural and brutal). The toms are unprocessed which does make them boomy, however the sustain on them seemed to work. I might end up throwing an L1 on them and cutting some of the ring if I wanted to make the track tidier and concise. If you want a good laugh just download the mix and throw it into your daw, the waveform looks like a wood plank.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(13-02-2016, 03:53 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: Cool. Sounds like Immortal with mids on the guitars, hahaha Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOOebk_dKFo

Toms are somewhat boomy but that's it. I would say: Mission accomplished =)

I ended up gating the toms and using an L1 and some EQ to make them more punchy. In the end I like the sound of this mix better, I've been watching some videos by Joey Sturgis lately and I've been using the L1 alot more ever since for stuff like this. Thanks again for the Critique!

You mean the JoeL1anasek signature plugin? =)
(15-02-2016, 06:01 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: You mean the JoeL1anasek signature plugin? =)

Haha, seriously though Waves L1 is great for toms

Only listened on me phone so far...but it comes across well.
Give you more feedback later on.
Nice one
The vocals are on point.
Dense mix.
Sounds good on stereo.
Fits the genre.
Thumbs up
(26-02-2016, 08:12 PM)James Cullis Wrote: The vocals are on point.
Dense mix.
Sounds good on stereo.
Fits the genre.
Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback James

Haven't touched this track in a while so I thought it would be cool to experiment with using some samples.

I sample replaced the kick, snare, and toms with Drumkit from Hell to get that more 90's Extreme Metal sound. This time I triggered a compressor on the kick from the snare to help it stay out of the way during the double kick sections and blast beats.

The bass this time around is run through TSE Audio BOD Version 1 for some grind and presence. I high passed the bass at 80 Hz to separate it from the kick and scooped out some 150 Hz to keep it tight. The bass is sidechain compressed from the kick to keep it in check.

Guitar wise, I used 4 different amp sims on the rhythm tracks all in Guitar Rig, the mid wide rhythm tracks are a mix of the OR120 amp I used last time and a JMP. The wide guitars are a mix of the 5150 and SLO amps. On the lead guitars I used a phaser and the OR120 amp. All the rhythm guitars are high passed at 100 Hz and have some minor EQ cuts.

The synths have a bitcrusher on them and are highpassed at 500 Hz to prevent them from smearing over the guitars and bass.

The vocals are run through RVox as a gate and a compressor to keep them super consistant and are high passed at 150 Hz to cut some noise out. I EQ'd out some front of face tone at 600-800 Hz and used a low pass to smooth out the top end. On the lead vocals I tried out a CLA trick, a plate reverb with a decay of 1.99 ms and a predelay of 156 ms to give them space. Then I used a stereo 1/4 note delay with one side set 10 ms apart and a tape delay set at 166 ms (simulating 15 ips tape delay). This trick seemed to puch the vocals abit wider and worked oddly well with the track.

Finally the background growls were panned up the center and piched down an Octave and Tritone to give a gross and guttural sound.

Mastering wise I've uploaded a soft and hard master level matched to keep a fair comparison between them and to not cause any confusion.

Cheers,
Dcp

.mp3    Bannockburn New Master 1 Hard Level Matched.mp3 --  (Download: 6.73 MB)

.mp3    Bannockburn New Master 1 Soft.mp3 --  (Download: 6.71 MB)