Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Back Home to Blue
Another interesting set of problems to solve for a wonderful and haunting song.

The key for me was finding the right environment to place the overheads into so the toms would enumerate without the cymbals getting crushed and too prominent. To that end I think I was successful and it shaped the rest of the mix from that point on. I was able remain very true to the recorded instruments without need of major equalization or compression tricks. Mostly, hi-passing everything was the key here, a technique I use on pretty much every mix I do but this one especially. Surprisingly, very little else was needed except for some subtle boosts where appropriate for the guitars and vocals. The double-tracking I found had little value except for the vocals which spread nicely when placed into a warm and large hall.

I hope you enjoy my take on this and will grace me with your comments.

.mp3    The Long Wait - Back Home to Blue.mp3 --  (Download: 3.79 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
PS: I really despise the .mp3 format.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Newly mastered with a lot more layers of multi-band compression, de-essing and EQ plus a new space.

Thoughts? Comments?

.mp3    The Long Wait - Back Home to Blue.mp3 --  (Download: 9.46 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey there, good job on the mix. I listened to both your uploads and the second one sounds pretty good.
Some thoughts:
- Even though it sounds a bit artificial and nasal, I like the sound of the lead vocals. Sounds well compressed and pretty clear; you emphasised the frequencies that sound good.
- The snare sounds a bit quiet and bland in the mix, but it could be my monitors (headphones).
-Seems to me that you've introduced some unpleasant noise in your last mix. By the sound of it, I think that it's the overheads. Becomes apparent on the hihats. Did you send them through some reverb? Again, could be my monitors.

It was interesting to track your progress on this song. Do you have other mixes on here?
Nice! A bit too much reverb on the snare, especially when it's side stick, but that's for my taste. I could do with a touch more bite from the snare (i mixed a sample into my mix).
(05-07-2016, 12:57 AM)vvalev Wrote: Hey there, good job on the mix. I listened to both your uploads and the second one sounds pretty good.
Some thoughts:
- Even though it sounds a bit artificial and nasal, I like the sound of the lead vocals. Sounds well compressed and pretty clear; you emphasised the frequencies that sound good.
- The snare sounds a bit quiet and bland in the mix, but it could be my monitors (headphones).
-Seems to me that you've introduced some unpleasant noise in your last mix. By the sound of it, I think that it's the overheads. Becomes apparent on the hihats. Did you send them through some reverb? Again, could be my monitors.

It was interesting to track your progress on this song. Do you have other mixes on here?

Thanks for your comments. I do have many mixes on here. Just click on any mixer's avatar and you can get to a place where you can see all of their threads and posts.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(28-10-2016, 06:18 PM)Father Dougal Maguire Wrote: Nice! A bit too much reverb on the snare, especially when it's side stick, but that's for my taste. I could do with a touch more bite from the snare (i mixed a sample into my mix).

The reverb I used was specifically for the side stick on the snare and the long trail. I'm sorry you did not like it.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(28-10-2016, 07:38 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:
(28-10-2016, 06:18 PM)Father Dougal Maguire Wrote: Nice! A bit too much reverb on the snare, especially when it's side stick, but that's for my taste. I could do with a touch more bite from the snare (i mixed a sample into my mix).

The reverb I used was specifically for the side stick on the snare and the long trail. I'm sorry you did not like it.

I'm sure more people would like it than not, but I'm a bit reverbphoboc!
(28-10-2016, 07:43 PM)Father Dougal Maguire Wrote:
(28-10-2016, 07:38 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote:

I'm sure more people would like it than not, but I'm a bit reverbphoboc!

Aye! But I love me a good reverb. Think and lush and juicy! Am I convoluted?
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
We're all a bit convoluted mate!