Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this.. (Jesper Buhl Trio) - Excerpt Mix
Hi guys, this is my mix of the excerpt.

- thanks for giving me this opportunity to train my mixing skills -

That's what I did in this mix:

1. DRUMS
KickInside > Boosted low frequencies; added reverb to obtain a tail.
KickBeater > Softened around 3kHz to shape the snare sound; boosted around 150 to shape the kick sound; doubled the track and used gate to trigger a reverb tail only on the kick shots.
Snare > applied reverb just to have a less on-your-face sound (the same was done with the KickBeater)
Overheads > applied a multi-band compressor, just around 3kHz, with very short attack/release to soften the cymbal attack around those frequencies; cut an annoying noise around 577Hz; applied compression to give more life to the toms' fills; added reverb (highpass 1750Hz) to add nice and diffused high frequencies.

2. BASS
Bass > applied multi-band compression to obtain more solid low frequencies and to soften the string noises (in order to boost medium-high frequencies to add presence and life to the bass sound in the mix, without boosting the noises); boosted around 300 for a more solid groovey presence in the mix; doubled the track and applied 100%wet reverb only from around 200Hz to around 2000Hz in order to add ambience to the bass sound.

3. PIANO
Piano > applied a bit of eq and compression just for dynamic-range purposes (as well as of course I did with every other track); applied a short reverb to add life.

And that's it.

I look forward to read your feedback!!

.m4a    What-is-this-Mix-Giovanni.m4a --  (Download: 1.02 MB)