Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dead Enemies ReMix (December 2016)
Update: Took a Different approach on this one and I believe I have improved my sound. I think this new version sounds fuller and more bad ass than my previous ones. Guitar tones sound more natural and the low end works a lot better than the previous one.

P.S. It's 3 in the morning here and I spent full 6 hrs on this so I will come back to fix things depending on how my fresh ears hear it later but I really wanted to post this before going to sleep.. and then wake up in about 3 hrs for work Lol

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Honestly took me hours to get this mix but once I finished I kept replaying it.

I don't know why this song has so few mixes... it's an Epic song!

Feedback?

V2: Fixed the blast beat F#%k up

.mp3    DeadEnemies2-(shulMix).mp3 --  (Download: 12.92 MB)

.mp3    DeadEnemiesReMix.mp3 --  (Download: 13 MB)

.mp3    DeadEnemiesReMix2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.94 MB)

It's hard to mix. That's why =)
(10-02-2016, 10:36 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: It's hard to mix. That's why =)

yes it is! Smile
It's a great mix. I don't care if something is too loud, to quiet, wrong this, wrong that as long as the basics are there and it doesn't sound overproduced or too raw to call it a mix. There are always reasons why something sounds the way it sounds. End of story.

But - and this is a very big BUT - you have totally fucked up the blast beat. The snare has to come down A LOT because a drummer can't hit a snare like this. Even Dirk Verbeuren from Soilwork who recorded new songs for my band in the last months can't play a blast with huge snare hits. It sounds extremely unnatural - I instantly stopped FEELING the mix and started to analyze what the hell sounds wrong.

My advice: Turn down the robotic snare sample and use the original snare track for the blast OR use very low midi velocities (maybe 60 instead of 127). If this IS the original snare track back off your compressor for this part and bring the snare down. The snare isn't the driving factor of this blast beat anyway - it's the kick and the clear vocals on top of the blast.

So: Great mix. Very raw, VERY powerful, very emotional. Without the machine gun blast I would give you a 10/10.
(11-02-2016, 01:19 AM)Blitzzz Wrote: It's a great mix. I don't care if something is too loud, to quiet, wrong this, wrong that as long as the basics are there and it doesn't sound overproduced or too raw to call it a mix. There are always reasons why something sounds the way it sounds. End of story.

But - and this is a very big BUT - you have totally fucked up the blast beat. The snare has to come down A LOT because a drummer can't hit a snare like this. Even Dirk Verbeuren from Soilwork who recorded new songs for my band in the last months can't play a blast with huge snare hits. It sounds extremely unnatural - I instantly stopped FEELING the mix and started to analyze what the hell sounds wrong.

My advice: Turn down the robotic snare sample and use the original snare track for the blast OR use very low midi velocities (maybe 60 instead of 127). If this IS the original snare track back off your compressor for this part and bring the snare down. The snare isn't the driving factor of this blast beat anyway - it's the kick and the clear vocals on top of the blast.

So: Great mix. Very raw, VERY powerful, very emotional. Without the machine gun blast I would give you a 10/10.

Thanks it means a lot Blitzzz!! I honestly think this mix is one of the best I've done considering it was hard to work with.

Version 2 is up I hope I fixed the Blast Beat to the natural sound it should be. Also I did minor tweaks to the mastering settings .. I hope I was subtle enough to not change the mix at all.

Once again thanks for the feedback! Smile
blast sounds good now.

I do not hear a difference when both versions are level matched but I´m in the office and can't listen to the mix on my trusty AKG's. Good job
(11-02-2016, 12:58 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: blast sounds good now.

I do not hear a difference when both versions are level matched but I´m in the office and can't listen to the mix on my trusty AKG's. Good job

Ok good Smile

again thanks a lot for your feedback!!
Update Above
Wait 4-5 days, then listen to the mix, write down everything that comes to your head.

My 2 cents: The rhythm guitars dominate your mix - in a bad way. They probably need or be smaller (=less low mids) because they leave no room for all the small details and they also bury the vocals. The vocal clarity in the old mix is better.
(21-12-2016, 01:39 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: Wait 4-5 days, then listen to the mix, write down everything that comes to your head.

My 2 cents: The rhythm guitars dominate your mix - in a bad way. They probably need or be smaller (=less low mids) because they leave no room for all the small details and they also bury the vocals. The vocal clarity in the old mix is better.

I agree. Hearing it now the low mids are quite overwhelming. What you say about the wait to analyze the mix is good But for me if I notice something overnight then it's obvious is wrong so I prefer to change it right away. I do wait weeks though... when I hear the mix for a few days and I'm happy about it, it amazes me how after a few weeks something I repeatedly hear and was happy about all of a sudden sounds very bad.

In comparison with my old mix.. That one had the bass too loud and there was little body and fullness in guitars.. Also the drums are more plastic sounding in the first one. I think the better version would be to meet in the middle with both versions. But in my opinion new version is far closer to something like Killswitch Engage "as day light dies" album for example .

Thanks for your input blitz z. I will make the changes asap.. And hopefully in the future when I remix this again.. I will continue to post the progress.