Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PTalbot,Upper Hand mix 2
Some good mixes and discussions on this thread, wasnt sure how to mix this track hope it sounds ok,all comments welcomed.

.mp3    Ptalbot,Upper Hand.mix 1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.46 MB)

Hey Cudjoe, sounds fine to me!
I like the blend of the rhodes+piano, not everyone did that well. The vocals sound cool too, and the horns have punch enough.

Just a few nitpicks I've noted: the acoustics have a little bit of low mid build-up, and the bass is also quite woofy, I would try to make them live together better, perhaps cut a bit of lows in the bass and use some saturation to add some high harmonics?
I think in general you should try to tighten up the low end in your mix, it would give you more clarity at the same time.

"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
It's a good mix. I wold turn up the acoustic guitars some more. I feel they are a very important part in the song. Also there is a ringing freq. at 2:20 to 25 .. I found it in my mix and I heard it on yours too. It's the piano track.. around 2k area.
Thanks PTalbot and Shul i have cleared out some of the low end build up,which i agree on,let us know what you think,or anyone else Smile.

.mp3    Ptalbot,Upper Hand.mix2 cudjoe.mp3 --  (Download: 10.49 MB)

Hey Cudjoe, pretty good man. The 2nd is definitely better in the low end, but there is some weird stuff going on between the kick and bass in the first verse.

Your kick may be too hot overall.

Like the tones you were able to get, and the general balances are really nice. . .just something between the kick and bass.

Thanks for sharing!

Draper
v2 sounds better to me Cudjoe! Good work!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks patrick Smile.
Thanks Draper I will look into it Smile.
Hi!
Nice mix and nice song (props Patrick)!
Love the balance, the voice sits nicely and the overall tonality is very good.
The things I would consider:
1. I would increase the volume of the instruments that sit mostly in the high end like: hihat, cymbals, shaker and I would add some VCC Brit4k drive on the acoustic guitars to make the sparkle a bit more. I just miss a bit the benefit of promoting the high end instruments in building a wider scene.
2. Tune the vocals a bit (sorry Patrick Sad) but I think it would require Melodyne 4 to do this because the doesn't sound that bad when it comes to pitch but I think that sometimes the the singer holds a note that his voice isn't comfortable with (like "ahhh" in 1:50) so overall tonality and vibrato has to be fixed and I don't know any other tool that could do this well.
3. I would add some more space in the low end for the kick (volume, sidechain compression) some distortion (try Trash Tongue) and maybe some click (but not too much since it's not a metal song Big Grin)

All in all - great work and some small adjustments to be done.
Keep up the great work!

Tested on: Yamaha HS7, Behinger Behritone C50A (mono), Microlab FC330, Brainvawz HM5 in a fully adapted room Smile
Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio
The only thing I would add to this is my feeling there is maybe too much mastering compression.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]