Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - "Upper Hand"
For this mix I've been using the new waves nx virtual mix room plugin since I don't have a sound treated room at home to mix. So I had to get used to the new sound I was getting in my headphones.

I hope the result was good but if not, feel free to point out what's to be improved! Big Grin

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Upper Hand.mp3 --  (Download: 9.72 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Translates ok mate,The mix sounds ok,bit lifeless maybe
ok, let me see what I can do to solve that! thank you, Alan!!
mixing since April 2013
Get better at mixing? lol only joking mate .Its probably just getting used to the plugin
get better? I think that's everybody's goal here! Big Grin

yes, I must get used to the plugin. Things sound very different and it's like walking with new shoes...
mixing since April 2013
It's always possible to do better, jj, don't worry! Smile
Your mix doesn't sound bad to me, just a few things that I've noted:
- the bass is very round, it lives mostly in the low end but there's little transients, so I find it muddies things a bit and lacks a bit of punch.
- the LV is perhaps a little loud, which could also be what takka said about being a bit lifeless: the background tracks are masked by the vocal.
- horns could have a bit more presence and punch, they are lacking a bit of sustain, I think.
Oh! and the fade out is a bit early and rushed IMHO.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Overall sound pretty good to my ears. I like acoustic and bass.

Opening fine to me, but when vox comes in, it feels like a bit too much eqed. Or as if he’s singing in a small closet. Or something else. But vox sound doesn’t blend with the band nicely. Now it's like a cue track, the artist has not visited the studio yet. I think it's the vox sound that causes Alan comment your mix a bit lifeless.

I like drums

To me the horns have too much presence. But that's just personal preference. Just for security reasons I want to keep a good distance to any horn player.

The edge of solo guitar and the edge of horns are probably too much on the same area.
Here's a second mix with some improvements regarding your suggestions.

I have no idea about what Alan meant with his lifeless comment since everyone here seemed to understand a different thing. In fact I was thinking about too much compression in certain instruments.

But anyway, here it is and I hope it is now better.

Thank you Patrick and Olli for your help!

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Upper Hand(2).mp3 --  (Download: 10.06 MB)

mixing since April 2013
Sounds better to me jj! Smile
But now I think the cymbals sound a bit loud and the end Lead guitar solo is a bit harsh.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I'll check on that too. In fact, I had noticed those same things one day later after my post with fresh ears... right now I'm on a business trip, but I will post the new mix next week when I return home.
mixing since April 2013