Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mikes Mix
Hi guys,

Here is a mix I did today. Its not mastered and maybe a bit low so turn it up.Ill master it when its tweaked.I like the tune even though Im not a pop fan but I like how the track is an experiment with no actual solid rhythm to it.

It is awash with re-verb and I haven't got the hang of automation yet so this is my first attempt at a tune like this-

Please do critique it as its the first time I've tried mixing a track like this.The last chorus I had problems keeping everything from taking over.

I also took part of the backing track vocal and used it at the start as I've never heard a pop tune sing about rohypnol & Valium so I give respect to the writers.

Ill probably do another mix and put it up again.I just had to put this mix up so I can disconnect from it and listen to it from a distance if that makes sense?

Huh

Thanks for listening.

.mp3    Triviul- \'Angelsaint\'.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

Crumbs -- that one gave my subwoofer a workout! Smile Seriously, there's some heavy sub-50Hz energy going on here, and I'm not sure it's going to make much impact on most listeners, apart from in the form of distortion if they turn up their playback hardware. If you want something that sounds 'bassy', then I'd look to give it a bit more around 150Hz instead, I think.

Beyond that, though, I like a lot of the ideas you've put forward in terms of creating a more lush sound, and it makes a nice contrast against the rather stark preview mix. Love the tunnel echo on the BVs at 0:28 -- very appropriate somehow, given the lyrics. Not sure about the modulation/widener on the bass, though, which seems to smooth off a good deal of its expressive character. You've done a nice job on the lead vocal, I think. I miss hearing the BVs a bit more clearly, though, and the solo also seems a MIA too, which feels like a shame.

Mono causes you some problems, though, as that pretty much kills everything but the drums, bass, and lead vocal. Are you mixing on headphones? Even in stereo, the strings and BVs all seem rather low in level, but would seem subjectively clearer in headphones because of the extreme panning.

Oh, and great creative thinking on that start. Love that! Smile
(29-06-2012, 08:46 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Crumbs -- that one gave my subwoofer a workout! Smile Seriously, there's some heavy sub-50Hz energy going on here, and I'm not sure it's going to make much impact on most listeners, apart from in the form of distortion if they turn up their playback hardware. If you want something that sounds 'bassy', then I'd look to give it a bit more around 150Hz instead, I think.

Beyond that, though, I like a lot of the ideas you've put forward in terms of creating a more lush sound, and it makes a nice contrast against the rather stark preview mix. Love the tunnel echo on the BVs at 0:28 -- very appropriate somehow, given the lyrics. Not sure about the modulation/widener on the bass, though, which seems to smooth off a good deal of its expressive character. You've done a nice job on the lead vocal, I think. I miss hearing the BVs a bit more clearly, though, and the solo also seems a MIA too, which feels like a shame.

Mono causes you some problems, though, as that pretty much kills everything but the drums, bass, and lead vocal. Are you mixing on headphones? Even in stereo, the strings and BVs all seem rather low in level, but would seem subjectively clearer in headphones because of the extreme panning.

Oh, and great creative thinking on that start. Love that! Smile

Cheers for the positive feedback there .

I really thought the volume was going to be low on playback!Apologies if anything fell from the sub- Im mixing with Alesis M1 Active speakers and not with headphones ...I am trying extreme panning to separate everything and I think I need to sit down with the violin parts as Im kinda mixing it by the seat of my pants.They really can be the icing on the cake if done right So a tweak is in order.I do agree that the BV's need to be clearer in parts so Im either gonna attack the automation once and for all or put them on separate tracks and give them separate attention.

I can only listen to a song 3 or 4 times and if I havnt got where the direction should go then I leave it as I dont want to kill it.

I really like the tune so Im gonna take your advice and repost it.

Thanks again and happy you like the direction.
ok this is the 2nd mix and I put the drum bass down around the 50hz and took off the chorus on the bass track. It would be nice to have a hi-hat to carry the rhythm in between.I also raised the violin and BV's a bit so if it comes to 3rd time lucky Im happy to try again.

It sounds different online from my set up so maybe I should upload to soundcloud first to compare but I like this way.

p.s I have to figure out how to save a snap shot of each mix so I can go back and change accordingly after all less is more, more or less.

.mp3    Triviul_ \'Angelsaint\' SOS.mp3 --  (Download: 8.81 MB)

(29-06-2012, 11:59 PM)Fickle3 Wrote: It would be nice to have a hi-hat to carry the rhythm in between.

Nothing to stop you adding one! Smile

Quote:It sounds different online from my set up so maybe I should upload to soundcloud first to compare but I like this way.

The in-line player should sound transparent, as far as I'm aware -- it's the Wimpy Wasp player, which doesn't have any EQ controls or anything at all, I don't think. Anyway, I almost always download the file to listen on my studio system anyway, so it shouldn't make a difference to my comments at least.
ok here is another mix. I was trying to add in a hi-hat at places but Im having some latency issues so here is another attempt at the mix.

.mp3    Triviul_ \'Angelsaint\'.mp3 --  (Download: 8.82 MB)