Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
That's Entertainment
Did this in about 45 minutes. Had to fight some frequency build ups, and trying to keep the piano natural while adding some body.

Thoughts?

Draper

.mp3    That\'s Entertainment MP3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.81 MB)

That piano's too bright, isn't it?
(05-02-2016, 04:01 AM)loweche6 Wrote: That piano's too bright, isn't it?

Funny, that's exactly what I was going to say! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
alright, put about 2 more hours into it. Notching frequencies, rebalancing, finding more resonant frequencies, compressing more, compressing less. . . I think you get the idea.

I think it may be over compressed at some points, but I am taking a break from this for now. Bah.

I don't hate my mix, I'm just not happy yet.

Draper

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    That\'s Entertainment MP3 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.96 MB)

Is it the fact that I have so much de essing going on?
Hum... I don't know about de-essing, but the vocals sound over-processed. Also the reverb/ambiance is very bright and sound rather artificial.
Just my first reaction to your new version, sorry, don't want to put you down, I can imagine this one is a lot less easier that it seems.
I think this track would benefit from a very natural sound, and I'm afraid that's not what you have ATM...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
No, I'm totally with you. There seems to be a "veil" on all of the mixes I've heard, so I went crazy with notch filtering resonant frequencies. I work with vocal music at my day job, and am usually quite good at it. . . but I'm having issues with this. I high passed and low passed all of my reverbs. I'm sure i'm doing too much on the mastering/conversion side of things (i mix in mixbus and use reaper to convert to mp3/rough master). This has been a real bi. . . . g pain. I hear how I know it should sound, but I'm not getting it for some reason. No worry boy-os, I'mma gonna get it.

Draper
That was easy. Just remove about 50-75% of all plugins, and sometimes you'll improve your mix greatly. I at least am back to a point of being closer to a finished product.

.mp3    That\'s Entertainment MP3 3 screw over processing.mp3 --  (Download: 5.96 MB)

(10-02-2016, 05:16 AM)loweche6 Wrote: That was easy. Just remove about 50-75% of all plugins, and sometimes you'll improve your mix greatly.

Big Grin Sounds much better indeed!

Some air moved here
perhaps understanding the consequences of the Habituation Effect will help avoid some of the issues/pitfalls confronting you in your mixing processes.
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!