Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Place For Us - Carlos Gonzales ( goodmix?)
Well Here is another mix. This one took me a while because of the drums.
and "Disonant" back vocals.

I did my best to get a good full and glued together sound between two drumkits.

Overall the whole feel of this song is a Nostalgic one.. that's how it made me feel. I hope I achieved that feeling.

What are your thoughts on it?? Only thing that troubles me is the amount of reverb I used.. do you people think its too much??

Thanks for listening.
Saludos!!

.mp3    APlaceForUs-CarlosGonzales(shulmix).mp3 --  (Download: 9.01 MB)

G'day Shul, ¿Cómo está?

Mix is sounding great listening with headphones. I reckon that you've got the reverb about right. It's kind of required I feel, specially at the start of the song when there's only the piano and vocal just to create that ambience. I feel the organ is coming in a bit strong in the intro and takes over from the piano somewhat but other than that I can't really fault. Enjoyable mix to listen to. I might have to look this one up myself and have a play.

Well Done,
Dave.
(31-01-2016, 10:53 AM)Dangerous Wrote: G'day Shul, ¿Cómo está?

Mix is sounding great listening with headphones. I reckon that you've got the reverb about right. It's kind of required I feel, specially at the start of the song when there's only the piano and vocal just to create that ambience. I feel the organ is coming in a bit strong in the intro and takes over from the piano somewhat but other than that I can't really fault. Enjoyable mix to listen to. I might have to look this one up myself and have a play.

Well Done,
Dave.

Hey Dave good to hear!!

Thanks for the feedback it means a lot. Good I also felt the Reverb was needed. Glad you think It wasn't so much.
Hi Shul !

Funny thing about the reverb cause to me there's a bit too much of it during the first verse ^^ Just a matter of taste, so nothing to worry about here.

On the other side, I find your drums behind the other instruments. Vocals are nice, but need more compression. I barely here some words while some others are too loud.

Overall EQ is a bit dark to my taste, especially for a pop song.

(23-06-2016, 03:22 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi Shul !

Funny thing about the reverb cause to me there's a bit too much of it during the first verse ^^ Just a matter of taste, so nothing to worry about here.

On the other side, I find your drums behind the other instruments. Vocals are nice, but need more compression. I barely here some words while some others are too loud.

Overall EQ is a bit dark to my taste, especially for a pop song.

Hello

Thanks for the feedback. I mixed this on headphones. I have a pair of speakers now.. I will open the project and fix what I did wrong. There are several bad things I'm listening to.

Thank you Smile
Hello Shul
Nice mix! I like the vibe you created. The vox seems to stands out a bit, and maybe it needs some more compression. Nice work. Smile
good ! but i think there is a huge phase problem in the drums. the problem is coming from the track i think. what your input on that?
try a phase scope on the overheads you will notice.
also the kick drum have some phase issues too.
(14-08-2017, 09:23 AM)dr.mimouni Wrote: good ! but i think there is a huge phase problem in the drums. the problem is coming from the track i think. what your input on that?
try a phase scope on the overheads you will notice.
also the kick drum have some phase issues too.

Hello there

I have not opened this project in for ever.. Not sure what the phase issues are. What I can tell you though is that I over did reverb on my drum kits. This might be causing an ugly "phase" issues .. or maybe more than what you hear in the tracks.

It could be the overheads are not lining up with kick.. or have a milisecond delay while recorded.. for drums I always carry or slide the overhead track to match with kick and snare transient to solve some phase issues... zoom in and check the waves of the tracks and match them as close as possible to each other to ensure the snap of kick and snare match with snap on overheads. That's what I would do.

Thanks for commenting on this Smile
first of all i just find out about this forum and i was looking around when i notice that song.
i like the prod even so some of the tracks are not well produce, like the bass for example.
in you mix i didn't found problematic phases , but in the original tracks i did.
there is a consistency problem in the kick drum (the pitch is changing all the time) , and when i look closer i saw that the alignment is not equal like someone made a bad edit or something.
the problem is recurrent in the overhead .
my question was if you notice that or you just made the mix like that?
(16-08-2017, 11:21 AM)dr.mimouni Wrote: first of all i just find out about this forum and i was looking around when i notice that song.
i like the prod even so some of the tracks are not well produce, like the bass for example.
in you mix i didn't found problematic phases , but in the original tracks i did.
there is a consistency problem in the kick drum (the pitch is changing all the time) , and when i look closer i saw that the alignment is not equal like someone made a bad edit or something.
the problem is recurrent in the overhead .
my question was if you notice that or you just made the mix like that?

I should have the mix session in my drive, I will open it up and maybe I can provide you with an mp3 of the drums only so you can hear it. I remember turning the acustic drums down so that the electric drums stand out more.

Typically if a kick is not consistent I usually trigger it with a sample. It sounds bad when a drummer is not consistent on his playing that some kicks are strong and some are weak. I might have sampled the kick here. If the problem is as obvious I should have noticed it too.. I just don't remember what I did.

I'll check the session later tonight and I'll post an mp3 here.