Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Fool (that's me)
You will have to forgive me, but I will never be as smart or talented as Frank Zappa and while my approach to this cute piece is probably more serious than PT would like, the quality of Patrick's writing and production keeps me from getting too crazy with this song, ala Frank Zappa. I did do the obligatory panning of echos on the BG vocals as an homage to being adventurous in the mix, but it is hardly that. This was another fun song from a very gifted writer and performer and I hope it is received well by the community. As always, comments are greatly appreciated.

.mp3    01 - Patrick Talbot - Patrick Talbot - Fool.mp3 --  (Download: 3.18 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
The FZ reference is just what I had in mind (although I'm obviously a lot less smart and talented too!) and is reflected in the lyrics, but I think your mix sounds good. I just thought the lead guitar was a bit too buried in reverb, and it's muddying up that part (takes too much frequencies away from everything else), when it stops, the sound clears up a lot and the mix sounds good. Good job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(31-01-2016, 12:38 AM)ptalbot Wrote: The FZ reference is just what I had in mind (although I'm obviously a lot less smart and talented too!) and is reflected in the lyrics, but I think your mix sounds good. I just thought the lead guitar was a bit too buried in reverb, and it's muddying up that part (takes too much frequencies away from everything else), when it stops, the sound clears up a lot and the mix sounds good. Good job!

Patrick,
Thanks for your reply and input. I think I am having a problem in definitions here. When you refer to the lead guitar are you speaking of the guitar solo track or the electrics which establish the body of the song along with the piano? I think you had mentioned environmentals on the 'lead guitar' in another post so I know of your personal aversion to burying things too much in reverb. I did not ascribe to that in this mix. As for the solo guitar, the allusions made me think and smile and the addition of the acoustic guitar on the final figures of that were a very nice touch. I have had the pleasure of listening to a lot of your work at this point and I am becoming a big fan. I really enjoy your choices of textures in your music and I do think it is approaching genius. I do hope you get to step out of the living room.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Well, thanks a lot for the kind words man! Cool that you've picked up the references in that one.
I'm glad you like what I do, but I do it for fun mainly as I'm much too old to have any hope of stepping out of the living room - I'm afraid that's for another life time! Wink

I was talking about the guitar solo track, I know that there's some FX already printed on the track which makes it a bit tricky to integrate in the mix, but I think you might have added some extra reverb or delay that is muddying up the rest of the mix. You can hear that things clear up when that part is finished. So I guess you should try to clean that up, perhaps cutting some more low-mids will help?
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Well done on a great sounding mix. The only disappointment was the ending.
Really enjoyed the excitement with the use of the backing vox. The transition into the guitar instro part @ 1:30 is amazing. This has to by my favorite part of the song. The guitar tones and arrangement that Patrick has worked are just heavenly. You have made this and the song as a whole shine beautifully. I might go back and have another listen.

Top Job.Big Grin
Dave.
(16-03-2016, 01:01 PM)Dangerous Wrote: Well done on a great sounding mix. The only disappointment was the ending.
Really enjoyed the excitement with the use of the backing vox. The transition into the guitar instro part @ 1:30 is amazing. This has to by my favorite part of the song. The guitar tones and arrangement that Patrick has worked are just heavenly. You have made this and the song as a whole shine beautifully. I might go back and have another listen.

Top Job.Big Grin
Dave.

Dave,
Thanks so much for your encouraging words. I do like how the guitar solo takes over when it plays but Patrick's issue with how it covers has some validity although I think the point of the level and tonal content of the part is to take over the lead or dominant place in the sonic picture for the duration of the part.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]