Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(First Submission) The Brew - What I Want
Platform: Ubuntu Studio (Linux) on Apple MacBook "Core 2 Duo" 2.4GHz 13" (Mid-2010) with 2GB ram
DAW: Ardour 3
Monitoring: Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro Closed Back Headphones

I've been recording and mixing as a hobby for a few years, working across Pro Tools, Cubase, GarageBand, Reason, and have recently switched to Ardour3. It seems to work the best for my home-studio setup. i'm all self-taught, but lot of you guys on here sound pretty knowledgable, so i joined up and hopefully some of that rubs off. Please, if you're so inclined, send me any notes or feedback. Constructive criticism is always appreciated! Tongue

I, unlike a lot of the folks who's posts I read about this specific track, chose to use some eq and a little comp to bring out what i thought were the best qualities of ALL of the OH mics. I thought with some blending and slotting at what i thought was the "sweet spot," they came out sounding pretty decent.

I also gated the close mic'd drums, to take some of the roomy sounds out, and let the room mic and reverb determine the space for the drums a bit more.
I also used a few instances of Calf Tape Emulator on Vocals, Drum Buss, and Bass Buss to sweeten them up with some saturation.

I used a really simple approach to mixing this one, due to my lack of knowledge of the DAW, but I'm quite pleasently surprised with Ardour's capabilities, and Interface, and all the free plugins that come with the install of Ubuntu Studio after this first run of mixing with it. If you're recording and mixing on a small budget, they're a much more viable option than torrenting cracked versions of their PC and Mac counterparts... or, dare i say it..... actually saving up for an outrageously priced DAW and plug-in packs.

That's all for now. Happy Mixing!

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want_r3_session_2016-01-23.mp3 --  (Download: 4.84 MB)