Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Andrew Cole - Dead Roses
(21-02-2016, 02:12 AM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: That is somewhat pointless as the mp3 format sucks, regardless of the sample rate.

i think you mean bit rate, not sample rate? your statement is incorrect because there is a huge difference in the amount of data reduction that occurs at lower bit rates and the artifacts and their nature which arise as a consequence. i recommend you inform yourself.

Quote:This is the only place I post mp3. My Soundcloud entries are posted up as 24 bit .wav but then Soundcloud does its own thing to that file. It sounds significantly better than what is listenable here, but here, you can only upload mp3s.

soundcloud streams at 128kbps, 16bit, 44.1kHz, so your assumption is wrong.

unless you are making available downloads, then you aren't achieving anything better than you have here! but if you post 320kbps files in this forum, most people won't be able to tell much difference between this and a CD unless they are using good quality playback devices and know from critical listening skills, what to look out for.

Quote:I will check on the difference between the 128k and 320k files.

i'm amazed you haven't already done this....as an aspiring audio engineer for one thing.

you might find this article of interest:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/ar...lation.htm

Quote:I will pay more attention now that you mention the issues you have enumerated.

cool Wink

Quote:I truly wish I could afford some really good monitors but alas, I cannot and must make due with my meager choices.

that's a shame, because it's going to impair your judgement regarding audio quality assessments.

i tried a pair of HS50's a while ago now, because someone recommended them to me as the modern NS10. for your information, i found them pretty crippled. they compress like hell, and communicated depth poorly, for example. and because of the port, gave the wrong cues for assessing bass during mixing...not that a 5 inch woofer is good at communicating bass anyway, other than perhaps indirectly via the harmonics, i hasten to add. the problem you are going to have with the accumulated impact of your monitoring environment, is that what you are hearing isn't what's in the mix. trying to make up for this in guess work when dialling in a parameter, will compromise your work. nevertheless, it's good that you have a number of different playback devices because this can help with the "averaging out" process. i'd steer clear of using the headphones during mixing....but they have validity in helping to assess some mix parameters which have been set when using speakers. but that's my experience....it's what works best for you that matters.

laters,,
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!

Messages In This Thread
Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 23-01-2016, 09:06 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 26-01-2016, 06:54 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 31-01-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 01-02-2016, 05:25 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by loweche6 - 26-01-2016, 08:13 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 26-01-2016, 10:38 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 19-02-2016, 04:06 AM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by k14studios - 20-02-2016, 05:33 PM
RE: Andrew Cole - Dead Roses - by Mixinthecloud - 21-02-2016, 12:58 AM