Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TEARS IN THE RAIN-ROD ALEXANDER
Mixed it in a few hours.. it's a good recording and easy to work with.

Hope you enjoy the mix.
feedback and rate welcome... usually there are always songs with a rating on it... this song has none so I'm gonna run through a few mixes my self to rate and see what everyone else is got.

Happy mixing everyone!
SmileSmileApple Software

.mp3    RodAlexander-TearsintheRain-Shulmix.mp3 --  (Download: 8.65 MB)

My biggest gripe is one of taste. With a kick that "big," I want to hear a nice woody (heh) crack on the snare. I haven't mixed it, so I don't have a reference to the source material, so I'm talking out of pure speculation. I like the tone of your snare as it is, but I would want to hear more of a lighter kick sound to compliment the tone of the snare. Maybe more of a jazz "feather foot" feel (like that alliteration?).

Props on the Courage the Cowardly dog avatar.

Nicely done mix!

Draper
(22-01-2016, 05:58 AM)loweche6 Wrote: My biggest gripe is one of taste. With a kick that "big," I want to hear a nice woody (heh) crack on the snare. I haven't mixed it, so I don't have a reference to the source material, so I'm talking out of pure speculation. I like the tone of your snare as it is, but I would want to hear more of a lighter kick sound to compliment the tone of the snare. Maybe more of a jazz "feather foot" feel (like that alliteration?).

Props on the Courage the Cowardly dog avatar.

Nicely done mix!

Draper

Thank You so much for listening!

I know what you mean. I thought about it on weather I should brighten up the kick or not but this was my approach; I thought to my self "the focus of the song is the acoustic guitar"
with this in mind I eq the kick to be bright but I felt the acoustics were busy around the 3k-5k and it would make the kick a bit distracting from everything. Instead I left the kick and bass muddy just for the feel to let the guitars be the ultimate focus. Also that tambourine is busy through the whole song so I figure go subtle on the kick to let these instruments shine.

I'm a Drummer my self so I definitely Understand what you mean Smile . Thanks for the feedback man! Ultimately we all make choices in a mix don't we? I hope my choice was successful in achieving what I wanted for the acoustics when you listened to it.. unless I wasn't then I gotta change the eq on the Kick haha.

P.S. Kick is a lot more muddier than what you hear (Had to lower 60-100Hz area to make it thinner) and snare is as is only with some reverb. You should mix this man is a Fun song to mix!! Smile and thanks I like Courage he is cool!!
Hey nice mix. It's smooth and feels right. Sometimes that's easier said than done so kudos. I just had a brief thought on the drums. It sounds like everything was mic'd really closely and it feels like it is missing the reflections that would naturally occur in the room with a drum set. it just sounds a bit sterile in other words. I'd try bussing your drums to an aux track and working with different reverbs to bring the room back a bit.
(22-01-2016, 08:33 AM)Ohbeejuan Wrote: Hey nice mix. It's smooth and feels right. Sometimes that's easier said than done so kudos. I just had a brief thought on the drums. It sounds like everything was mic'd really closely and it feels like it is missing the reflections that would naturally occur in the room with a drum set. it just sounds a bit sterile in other words. I'd try bussing your drums to an aux track and working with different reverbs to bring the room back a bit.

Hey man Thanks for listening!! Smile

You are right on the room of the drums. The tracks are samples(original tracks). I did send them through a bus with verb to compensate for the lack of life but it's not the same as if you were to record the Overheads or Room with an actual mic. Perhaps more reverb?
More reverb could help. You could also try coupling a reverb with something like a short delay. The reverb will give you the ambiance of a room but the delay will simulate the reflections off the walls that a room mic would naturally pick up. Keep it up though sounds good!

(22-01-2016, 08:53 AM)Shul Wrote:
(22-01-2016, 08:33 AM)Ohbeejuan Wrote: Hey nice mix. It's smooth and feels right. Sometimes that's easier said than done so kudos. I just had a brief thought on the drums. It sounds like everything was mic'd really closely and it feels like it is missing the reflections that would naturally occur in the room with a drum set. it just sounds a bit sterile in other words. I'd try bussing your drums to an aux track and working with different reverbs to bring the room back a bit.

Hey man Thanks for listening!! Smile

You are right on the room of the drums. The tracks are samples(original tracks). I did send them through a bus with verb to compensate for the lack of life but it's not the same as if you were to record the Overheads or Room with an actual mic. Perhaps more reverb?

(24-01-2016, 11:14 AM)Ohbeejuan Wrote: More reverb could help. You could also try coupling a reverb with something like a short delay. The reverb will give you the ambiance of a room but the delay will simulate the reflections off the walls that a room mic would naturally pick up. Keep it up though sounds good!

Thanks a lot! yeah I'll keep the room of the drums in mind when I get back to remix this song.. it's always good to come back and start from scratch and compare you previous mix with your new on and see if you improved.

Let's keep at it!!