Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying Some New Plugins
Experimenting with some new plugins on this one and looking for some feedback.

Thanks

.mp3    Neon Hornet - Take It Off.mp3 --  (Download: 11.99 MB)

Hey k14,

I'm not in a critical listening environment, but from my laptop it sounds like quite a nice mix. I can even hear your bass, which is a rarity for these anemic speakers. Really nice work. What type of plugins were you trying out?

Draper
Thanks! On this one I'm trying out Amplitube 4 for the bass and lead guitar parts. I'm also using Vitamin by Waves on the drums. Lately I've started to adopt the philosophy of using most of my plugins on my mix busses and sends as opposed to my direct inserts. The only thing I'm using as an insert on these tracks is an SSL emulator. It seems to be giving me a lot more flexibility and a more cohesive final mix.
I've been doing the same thing. No need to process everything, and in fact, you can make everything sound thin and overly processed when you put inserts on every individual track. Doesn't mean I won't eq or compress a snare or kick individually, but now I try to make the least amount of "waves in the pond" as it were. I'm with you on processing the mix busses more than the individual tracks, I think it helps you to "see the instruments" quicker than working on everything as if they existed separately from everything else, to be extreme about my point. Are you using the Slate digital ssl emulator from the VCC? I love the VCC plugs.
I'm using the Waves version. It's the only plugin I use on every individual track. It's my channel strip of choice. I do like the VCC stuff as well though.
Nice mix this, I like it. Clean punchy drums, great vocals, and also the sense of depth.
Just one thing, the two guitars here are meant to be layered together, and not to be heard as two different ones.
But anyway, it's just my opinion, or preference.
A start, before I can stop..
Love that kick drum.
(22-02-2016, 11:03 AM)parnellij Wrote: Love that kick drum.

Thanks!!
Nice and clean !
good use of your plugins
this is really good. really well done. The bass is nice and thick without being overbearing. Did you stereo widen the bass or duplicate and pan? It is for the most part up the middle but I still feel like it wraps around me as opposed to coming straight at me.

good job!

nate!