Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forkupines - Semantics (M&F)
Decided to make use of the Apollo A/D in this recall and remastering print

https://s3.amazonaws.com/xqr/Semantics_XQR2.wav

M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
Interesting. Bit of a different direction but it works.
Maybe a tad heavy on the low end of the kick.

Old West Audio
(19-01-2016, 05:44 AM)azwayne Wrote: Interesting. Bit of a different direction but it works.

Thanks. There is a smidget of thump to the punch of the kick in an attempt to retain the full rhythm presence under the heavy gtrs where the top punch of the kick would likely be swallowed. Great song to tweak on with.
(19-01-2016, 05:44 AM)azwayne Wrote: Interesting. Bit of a different direction but it works.

I made an adjustment to the kick on the recall version in top post. Thanks for the feedback.
Hi DDL - I've been listening to a few different versions of this track - I must say, I'm pretty taken with this band - they seem to have a knack for very catchy, yet quite quirky and idiosyncratic tracks... I'm diggin' it!

Your mix seems to have pretty good clarity and separation of the instruments, and the balances seem well handled...

However, the thing that strikes me as a bit peculiar is the overall tonality of the track. It seems very "hi-mid-forward", with lots of snappiness from the drums - and I can hear some low end happening too - but the overall impression is that the "connective tissue" between the sub-bass under around 80hz and the mids around 400-500hz is somewhat "starved". As a result, the prominent high mids (from around 3-7k) tend to be overly dominant and lend the mix a somewhat fatiguing feeling.

I say "connective tissue" because, even though that low mid area is easy to overdo in a mix, if it is absent, the low and high ends of the mix tend to sound "disconnected" from each other - which is the feeling I'm getting here.

I guess, in essence, what I'm missing is that "chesty" thump and punch from the kick and the warmth and bloom of the low mids in the bass. Possibly some work with a spectrum analyser and some reference material may be helpful in dialing in the low end response better.
All 10 FytaKyte Multi-Tracks available for you to mix with purchase of Album here: https://fytakyte.bandcamp.com/releases
Updated version posted, thanks
Hey DDL

Few observations

*The guitars have a processing of some type through out all the song. After a while gets a bit weird for me. Not sure what it is.. bit of a flanger with some reverb?? can't put my finger on it Lol
*The low end I would want from this song is missing. That punchiness from kick and bass is not there. Not sure if this changed in your mastering process as it seems a bit compress overall with very lil lows. I could be wrong.
*I actually really like the vocals. Clean and clear sounding.

I don't think I heard your older version.. So Is hard for me to tell you if the updated is better or not.

P.S. I'd love it if you could upload an mp3 version of the mix with the wav link side by side like you used to do. I use my phone most of the time so an mp3 small file would work best for me when I'm away from home "most of the time"
(10-04-2016, 01:07 AM)Shul Wrote: Hey DDL

Few observations

*The guitars have a processing of some type through out all the song. After a while gets a bit weird for me. Not sure what it is.. bit of a flanger with some reverb?? can't put my finger on it Lol

Soundtoys MicroShift.. ha!
(10-04-2016, 01:08 AM)Shul Wrote: P.S. I'd love it if you could upload an mp3 version of the mix with the wav link side by side like you used to do. I use my phone most of the time so an mp3 small file would work best for me when I'm away from home "most of the time"

Ok, I will do that next time I'm at the station.. it's a separate mastering pass that has to happen to "print" to the mp3 friendly rate.. converting the 24/41 master to a mp3 produces a bad ref..