Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devils Word (Jan 2021 RE-Mix)
Hey Shul, the mix sounds quite well balanced and clear, great work there. The biggest complain I can make is that the mix seems to lack a certain punch and power to it.

The drums are very dry and seem to be lacking punch, using some different samples and a plate reverb on the snare and toms can go along way on this track.

The vocals seem dry also and are forward but at the same time don't drive hard like a vocal in this genre. I found using an 1176 style compressor along with an LA 3a and a limiter really got me that in your face pop punk vocal along with a plate reverb and mono delay for some space.

The guitar and bass tone you've got going on is quite good, the bass could use more drive but that's more taste wise.

Overall you've got a solid and balanced mix going on.

Cheers,
Dcp
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
It's a good mix, but vocals are too loud. And drums are a bit thin(eq vise). But other than that it's perfect. I would add more compression to the vocals, delay, distortion to the vocal in some parts and in the part where the vocal sounds like from the toilet, maybe it would be better to use clean vocal without effects, just eq, cause it is quiet part of the song and you would want to get the vocal closer to the listener rather than farther like you did with excessive reverb. Also you could fatten the main vocal with doubling. The things I really like in your mix are bass, back vocals composition, bass drum tone eq, cymbals eq, guitar tone and Mix of guitar/drums/bass, also the clarity of vocal is attractive. Cheers! Big Grin
(saw that's how everybody end posts here - Cheers) Big Grin
Hey guys thanks for the feedback.

I particularly don't like the mix anymore. I gotta try again with new things I learned. I mixed this with headphones.. Once I mix in my studio monitors I'm sure it will sound different.
Good mix, good balance, good texture. I agree that a little more compression will put your mix on the next level. But it's a very good job
UPDATE: I upped my game on this mix... definitely a HUGE improvement over my last one.. which in comparison is super crap...
Practice makes perfect and knowledge is key. Got me some new tricks as well. Hope you like this better
Yeah the first mix has a lot of flaws, definitely but I wouldn't call it "super crap". And I did level match the different versions.

I have to be honest, while there are certainly improvements in the second mix it loses focus on the vocals. Every part sounds great but they tend to crowd each other. They're all running for the front of the stage and it makes the stage feel smaller. Each instrument is really in your face except for the vocal and by contrast it feel hidden in the back. If the track opened up for the vocals by bringing stuff back or changing up the sounds a bit and getting the vocal to have a sound that competes with the rest of the band it'd be at the next level.

It's obvious that you've learned a lot and you've developed a better ear and ability to get sounds you want just keep in mind the final product and supporting the song and vocal. Things are sounding great. Keep up the good work and improvement.
(20-12-2016, 03:44 PM)RoyMatthews Wrote: I have to be honest, while there are certainly improvements in the second mix it loses focus on the vocals.
You are 100% right. Heard it again and the vocals get lost ... Also I just realized I left a lot of low end here... A bit too much subs.

It's crazy how much tired ears will mess you up. That's why is always good to hear a mix the next day or two.. Because you realize how many things you over looked.

I will fix it later tonight. I want to leave mixes so I can track my progress.

Thanks for the feedback man .
Vocals volume fixed on the Remix Smile
Yeah, the vocal up mix feels better to me. There's only 2 things that popped out at me and they aren't a big deal.
-In the 1st verse the bass notes still over power the vocals. I'd consider either bringing the bass back during that section or automating the eq so it's a little darker if you want to keep the low end foundation the same.
-The bridge lead vocal can come down. She's not really singing and it's not adding anything. She can step back. That can be the band's time to be the focus.

I don't have the previous version where the vocal is lower to compare it to. There is something that feels a little weird about this mix. I was almost wondering if it was a lower resolution file or a phase thing or something. It could just be me but it's not a feeling remember getting from the vocal back Remix version. Maybe I just need more coffee.

This latest vocal up version is definitely a big improvement.
2021 version. It's great to revisit and see how different the mixes sound.