Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Devils Word (Jan 2021 RE-Mix)
V2:2016 
logic pro mix

V3: DevilsW 
2021 reaper mix all done with free vst.

2021 here we all go!

.mp3    Devil\'s Words - Actions-ShulMix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.5 MB)

.mp3    Devl\'s Words ReMix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.52 MB)

.mp3    DevilsW.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

.mp3    DevilsWBright.mp3 --  (Download: 7.61 MB)

Feedback anyone?
Hey dude!

Overall the mix sounds great. I love the way the drums sound...big and trashy but with good dynamics and definition. The bass is also sitting well in the mix.

The vocals sound a bit...flat? to me? I think this style of music is maybe demanding a bit more "edge" to them and a bit more wetness with reverb and delay. I was having a lot of trouble getting them to sound right as well...I kept getting them to sound more R&B then pop-punk :/

Overall, really great mix!
(24-01-2016, 06:25 PM)ridcullylives Wrote: Hey dude!

Overall the mix sounds great. I love the way the drums sound...big and trashy but with good dynamics and definition. The bass is also sitting well in the mix.

The vocals sound a bit...flat? to me? I think this style of music is maybe demanding a bit more "edge" to them and a bit more wetness with reverb and delay. I was having a lot of trouble getting them to sound right as well...I kept getting them to sound more R&B then pop-punk :/

Thanks man! is always good to get feedback from different ears.

I could play with different reverb settings.. the reason I didn't use that much was because it would get the vocals a bit foggy in pronounciation. I used 3 types of verbs on vocals.
A really short and subtle one on the track to change the texture a bit.
Another short one to enhance it and make it seat better in the mix (it felt too upfront without verb)
and the third one long and subtle as well to spread it up in ambiance.

I could go back and make one of the last 2 more wet.. and see if how it sounds .. at that moment the way it is right now sounded perfect for me but now that you mention it does sound a bit dry.
(24-01-2016, 10:43 PM)Shul Wrote:
(24-01-2016, 06:25 PM)ridcullylives Wrote: Hey dude!

Thanks man! is always good to get feedback from different ears.

I could play with different reverb settings.. the reason I didn't use that much was because it would get the vocals a bit foggy in pronounciation. I used 3 types of verbs on vocals.
A really short and subtle one on the track to change the texture a bit.
Another short one to enhance it and make it seat better in the mix (it felt too upfront without verb)
and the third one long and subtle as well to spread it up in ambiance.

I could go back and make one of the last 2 more wet.. and see if how it sounds .. at that moment the way it is right now sounded perfect for me but now that you mention it does sound a bit dry.

I think honestly just a bit more compression might do wonders...also play around with some delay on top of the verb (or instead!).

I just posted a mix--would love your feedback Smile
I like your mix ,i'm finding it a real challenge.
Well done

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(06-02-2016, 12:14 AM)thedon Wrote: I like your mix ,i'm finding it a real challenge.
Well done

Yeah it took me a while too.. At some point I got frustrated with it but tried again.

Thanks for the feedback.. Keep working on your mix and do stuff outside the box.. U never know when some experiment is gonna sound great!!
I like the drum work on this mix and the direction of the mix.. I realized I have this on my HD but have yet to load it up.. I think in my mind I know if I look into the screen at this 3 days of my life will be gone when I look away from the screen.. I have an idea where I would take this.. The first thought that comes to my mind is "Celtic" mix style..
M1 Pro MBP: is my Hattori Hanzo.
(06-02-2016, 07:21 AM)Digitaldruglord Wrote: I like the drum work on this mix and the direction of the mix.. I realized I have this on my HD but have yet to load it up.. I think in my mind I know if I look into the screen at this 3 days of my life will be gone when I look away from the screen.. I have an idea where I would take this.. The first thought that comes to my mind is "Celtic" mix style..

Unfamiliar with Celtic style. This song is fun to mix though.

As for the drums I'm afraid I didn't do much to them because I ended up using samples. Drum tracks are complicated to work with (to my capabilities) so I took the easy way out. The overhead mic gives them some life but is not the same.

I'll definitely hear your version when you post it.
Hi Shul I like your mix, the only thing I miss is some delay that's just a taste thing,good job.