Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
On the Line (Dan Updegraff mix 2)
After another crumby attempt at one of these mixes, I finally installed Reaper (and Mike's project) and learned enough about that DAW to see how Mike actually mixed everything. (Thanks Mike for all the screenshots too! They helped a lot since I didn't have many of the plugins you used.)

What I learned was the Mix Rescue article, as good as it is, doesn't cover everything that is going on. Actually seeing how Mike routed the busses, and where he applied certain plugins made a big difference, especially for the parallel compression busses and reverb sends. I never would have imagined applying a 3 second plate reverb to drum overheads, but it sure added life to them. Nor would I have thought to send to the reverb aux from both the original and parallel compression bus. Very cool to see how this helped. I have also been ignoring the low end (less than 200hz) way too much on vocals, guitars, and snare. My mix was rather cold and harsh until I added in a lot of the low end Mike had in his version.

The training wheels were on for this mix, but I'm happy I finally got one close to Mike's using my own DAW (Samplitude). Don't hesitate to offer suggestions if you have some. Feeback is always appreciated.

.mp3    On The Line (Dan Updegraff mix 2).mp3 --  (Download: 5.88 MB)

Nice mix,it is handy to be able to look at some of this stuff what Mike does.
Great mix man. I really like it. Very pleasent sounding. I think you managed to cary the emotions of the song with good notion.

Cheers
Juraj