Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I Want mix
Hi all,

this is my first mix since reading the book, would love to get any thoughts on it. I'm pretty pleased with it in the end.

This is straight off the mix buss, I've done no mastering. I did strap a limiter over the mix buss just before bouncing but that only took a couple of dB off at the biggest peak, and was really just to bring the level up easily.

I found the drums the biggest challenge, don't think I ever got them sounding as big as I would like.

Also had real trouble with the keys. It's a shame the layered sounds for the keys weren't recorded separately.

Anyway, would love to see what you all think.

.mp3    The Brew - What I Want 2.mp3 --  (Download: 24.49 MB)

I like the creative direction you took with the "chorus vocals". I didn't really like that take and considered getting creative with it but none of the stuff i thought of came off that well so i ended up just doing some clip gain making it work. Cool tone on that.

one thing I am noticeing is some ducking in the cymbals during choruses. Not sure if there is some over compression there or what.

Thanks, yeah I totally see what you're saying about the chorus cymbals pumping. Have revisited it and replaced the new version here now.

There was a compressor on the drum buss that I'd left at 100% processed, I had meant it to be a parallel compression as it was working fairly hard. It's only mixed in at 25% now and sounds much better, altogether more open. Not sure how I missed that, I think you get too close to it after a bit.

Also made a couple of other small changes having had a break for a couple of days. I dropped the level of the vocal by a dB to make the track seem a little more powerful and tweaked the kick/bass balance.