Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directions on Tom Mckenzie's Directions
It was very easy to fall in love with this song. It is a wonderful arrangement impeccably performed and excellently recorded. Listening to the many offerning posted here it is difficult to find any that don't work. After listening to Tom's original mix and finding a different mix on his website I tried to combine the two approaches. I also am presenting the mix three times as a history of its development. One relatively dry and another with more environmentals and just Directions appearing as the final mix. The quality of this recording and the performance really challenged my hardware. To really do justice to this song a really good analogue summer would be ideal.

I hope you enjoy all and will leave your comments.

.mp3    Tom McKenzie - Directions.mp3 --  (Download: 2.62 MB)

.mp3    Tom McKenzie - Directions - Dry.mp3 --  (Download: 2.62 MB)

.mp3    Tom McKenzie - Directions - Wet.mp3 --  (Download: 2.6 MB)

PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hi ,
I like both versions ,the one with the reverb does sound a touch loud and distorted compared to the dry mix.
The breaths on the vocals the are being enhanced by compression ,manually editing is tedious and one thing i also will have to do when i do a remix, as this song was one of my very first DAW mixes .
nice work Big Grin !

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(08-01-2016, 10:14 AM)thedon Wrote: Hi ,
I like both versions ,the one with the reverb does sound a touch loud and distorted compared to the dry mix.
The breaths on the vocals the are being enhanced by compression ,manually editing is tedious and one thing i also will have to do when i do a remix, as this song was one of my very first DAW mixes .
nice work Big Grin !

Thanks so much for the comment. Please take listen to my final mix of this as there were some tasty musical movements added to the song.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Bass sounds great! Maybe the kick could be abit more punchy - also maybe long reverb doesn't suit the song I prefer the dry version you did but still the revert is a little long imo. Would appreciate feedback on my mix if you get the time, cheers
(11-02-2016, 04:07 PM)lm425 Wrote: Bass sounds great! Maybe the kick could be abit more punchy - also maybe long reverb doesn't suit the song I prefer the dry version you did but still the revert is a little long imo. Would appreciate feedback on my mix if you get the time, cheers

Thanks for your response. I prefer the dry version two and the final has just a taste of added reverbs as the song progresses.

As for the kick, try listening to these mixes on a system with good low end response and you will hear an enormous amount of very low end content. It is that level which is in sync with the over-all mix and in keeping with the pointillistic nature of the song. I had to go to my car audio system to hear it. Kind of sad when my best audio playback system is in my car!
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]