Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blood To Bone
Lots of automation

I got a little creative with the transitions to try to make the mix dynamic.

This was a challenge because the gtrs are not that well thought out from the original mix in that there are an abundance of phase issues with the micing.

The drums are not bad but still require automation and editing.

I fairly happy with my results, I don't no if I could do a better job than this.

UPDATE:

I remixed this after a year to track my progress. Blood To Bone 2017

Feedback is always welcome and wanted.

Cheers.

.mp3    Blood To Bone.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

.mp3    Blood To Bone 2017.mp3 --  (Download: 9.03 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Cool Mix , I love the effects and balance ,Listening on headphones at the moment, the kick sounds nice and punchy , a little full and poppy in the mid and missing some bottom end and not cutting through when the chorus comes in, not sure maybe being masked by the snare ?
Just some personal thoughts while having a listen.
Good Job Big Grin

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

(14-01-2016, 10:43 AM)thedon Wrote: Cool Mix , I love the effects and balance ,Listening on headphones at the moment, the kick sounds nice and punchy , a little full and poppy in the mid and missing some bottom end and not cutting through when the chorus comes in, not sure maybe being masked by the snare ?
Just some personal thoughts while having a listen.
Good Job Big Grin
I forgot why I neglected the low end (bass gtr) or if it was just an over sight when I mixed this song, but you're right it could used more bass gtr presence.

I think that would take care of the mid abrasiveness. Thanks for the listen and observation. Cheers.

My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Interesting choice on the echoes. I've always found it very tough to get those to come in right. One dB in the wrong direction and you either loose it or it stands out like a sore thumb.
Old West Audio
in my opinion there is a guitar or bass i'm not sure which... that is too up front sometimes and it looses clarity.
(19-01-2016, 05:36 AM)azwayne Wrote: Interesting choice on the echoes. I've always found it very tough to get those to come in right. One dB in the wrong direction and you either loose it or it stands out like a sore thumb.

Automation. That's it. Make an Aux send for any and all time based effects and then send the signal via buss to the Aux track. Now you can have exclusive control over the envelope and ect... of the effect and easily get the results your looking for.

On every plugin (at least in Pro Tool) there's an automation tab with automation options that allow control over the important aspects of that plugin.

If you already know this then disregard.

I place the Aux send right next to the track(s) I want to effect, that way I can also look at the waveform and make adjustments accordingly and then I listen to make sure.

Having your session BPM correct also helps, this way you can just sync to the host and your effect will be in time with the rhythm of the song.

Good luck.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(19-01-2016, 06:29 AM)Shul Wrote: in my opinion there is a guitar or bass i'm not sure which... that is too up front sometimes and it looses clarity.

I think its the guitar that's a little too loud, now that I've had a break from it. But like theDon said, I think if I bring the Bass guitar up in the mix it would solve the problem. Thanks.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Well, for echoes like that, I typically copy the phrase out to a separate track and have the send constantly active. I pick and choose what I want echoed (which can often be just a single syllable), put it directly below--in time--with the primary track and adjust the delay timer for the interval I want, whether manually or synched up with the tempo. Lock the two faders together and there you go. As I said, however, no matter how you go about it, if that return is too loud the effect will be all wrong. Too soft and you may not even hear it. Just tough to dial it in sometimes.
Old West Audio
(20-01-2016, 04:33 AM)azwayne Wrote: Well, for echoes like that, I typically copy the phrase out to a separate track and have the send constantly active. I pick and choose what I want echoed (which can often be just a single syllable), put it directly below--in time--with the primary track and adjust the delay timer for the interval I want, whether manually or synched up with the tempo. Lock the two faders together and there you go. As I said, however, no matter how you go about it, if that return is too loud the effect will be all wrong. Too soft and you may not even hear it. Just tough to dial it in sometimes.

Whatever boat that gets you to the island.

If you over do anything its over done...... but automation assures that the "return" is just where it needs to be every time. Remember, computers are dumb, they do what you tell them to do.
My Original Music

Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1