Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Checking this mix
Just wondering what everyone thinks of this mix. Don't worry about hurting my feelings....just give me your first impression. Thanks...I appreciate it.

.mp3    I\'m Alright .mp3 --  (Download: 6.86 MB)

Overall mix and frequency balance is good, except for a hole in the 600 - 800 hz range.

That kick sounds killer. Getting that slap has been hard for me on this song. I'm missing it in my mix. Any tips?

I'd like to hear the snare a little more forward. I think it's competing with other tracks (overhead and vox?).

The toms ring through the first break at :33. I had to use a transient shaper and some heavy-handed editing of the track to eliminate it. Maybe the reverb on them is a bit rumbly too.

I like guitar solos in the center, taking the place of the vocal line, but the solos here are mostly in the sides so they disappear in mono, and don't stand out the way I like to hear them. It sounds like there's a lot of verb in the center channel. Maybe try moving that to the sides, and put the main track(s) more centered?

The bass runs from 2:03-2:15 are buried, but I wanna hear them! What can I say? I'm a bass player :-)

Excellent suggestions. I hear what you're saying on the Bass run at 2:10....I completely missed it....would have sounded good to get that moved ahead a bit in the mix. I've always had trouble with Bass...I find that a good bass sound isn't about how low it is, but how whole it is....Bass is a thankless instrument that never gets the spotlight is deserves.

I hear the whole from 6-800...I just didn't hear it until later and didn't bother to fix it...Also I should check the mono mix more often, as I hardly ever do...another great suggestion on your part...I'll do so in the future.

It's amazing how quickly my ears get burned the older I get. I got about 30 minutes before I lose perspective....

I don't know if this helps, but the Kick has a lot of top on it...and probably compressed with a soft limit or something similar compression-wise. I also roll off pretty deeply anything under 80hz...and maybe even up to 100 at times...it's all song dependent as you know.

Thanks for taking the time to observe this mix for me....it's really hard to find the right combination and another set of ears really helps see the whole picture. I appreciate it.

I may give it another try...I've got the whole session saved so it shouldn't be that time consuming....

again, thanks for the tips....those are good solid ideas.
(12-01-2016, 08:05 AM)[email protected] Wrote: It's amazing how quickly my ears get burned the older I get. I got about 30 minutes before I lose perspective....

Old?! Dude, I'm 50 :-)

(12-01-2016, 08:05 AM)[email protected] Wrote: I don't know if this helps, but the Kick has a lot of top on it...and probably compressed with a soft limit or something similar compression-wise. I also roll off pretty deeply anything under 80hz...and maybe even up to 100 at times...

Hmmm... checking ... yikes, I high passed at 30, but low passed it at 4700 hz. I need to try again Undecided