Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Summertime a la Charlie Parker
I hope you guys enjoy it but my reference was Charlie Parker.

Cheers
Frank

.mp3    Summertime.mp3 --  (Download: 4.76 MB)

(03-01-2016, 06:39 PM)fjuarez3 Wrote: I hope you guys enjoy it but my reference was Charlie Parker.

Cheers
Frank

Frank,

I liked the mix. It was very spacious and well balanced. As far as using a Charlie Parker recording as a reference, I recall his sax sounding very dry. But, I'm not up on all of his work throughout the years. Overall, the very open sound was reminiscent of being in a large club secretly recording when you're not supposed to be using a recorder....ya know, when they tell you "no tape recorders allowed." :-) Nice job!!

Tom

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Thanks, It did have that feel of old tape recordings but I used a Charlie Parker recording of Summertime in a quintet. The sax was a little dry but I just keep it a little livelier. Thanks for the input and I am glad it came across.

Frank
Here is another attempt at making the sax drier and making the other two instruments a bit livelier.

.mp3    Summertime4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.82 MB)

.mp3    Summertime Mastered 4.mp3 --  (Download: 4.65 MB)

(12-01-2016, 05:06 PM)fjuarez3 Wrote: Here is another attempt at making the sax drier and making the other two instruments a bit livelier.

There is something about mix 2 that I like a bit better than 1 but I can't put my finger on it. Either one is great though. Enjoyed both!!!!!

Tom
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
I changed my approach on the bass by a ton.... I made it sound more like an upright bass like it is instead of a regular electric bass. I also changed the EQ on the sax.... I hope it sounds better.

Frank

.mp3    Summertime Take 3 Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 4.66 MB)

.mp3    Summertime take 3.mp3 --  (Download: 4.82 MB)

(24-01-2016, 02:47 AM)fjuarez3 Wrote: I changed my approach on the bass by a ton.... I made it sound more like an upright bass like it is instead of a regular electric bass. I also changed the EQ on the sax.... I hope it sounds better.

Frank

HI there, my read of take 3 - mastered
- sax sounds great
- the kick somehow is very weak
- not sure about the upright bass, it seems there's some depth missing

the premaster take 3 is somehow more balanced with still the "something too slim" impression on the bass.
hope this helps
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland