Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat mix for feedback
Hi All!

Had real fun with this one!
Not often we get to play with stuff recorded on such amazing gear by such great people!

I found myself VERY drawn toward the C12, Elam 251 and AR51 channels on the whole.... those mics just sound wonderful!!!! i ended up buying one of the AR51s and it is just gorgeous! Wish i had the cash for a C12 though!! Rolleyes
I used UAD2 Studer A800 on all channels except FX returns and the 2 bus as well as Slate VCC2 4KE on all channels. Relab LX480 is the only reverb, I EQ'd before the reverb by HPF @ 600hz, LPF @ about 4Khz and a 2db or so notch @ 2Khz to keep it tight and clean. I also compressed after the reverb with yamaha 260 comp 3db GR on loudest sections @ 2:1.
Also used Brainworx BX V2(for widening), Duende Bus comp, Slate VMR (VCC2, Revival & FG Bomber), Slate VTM and Sonnox inflator (for the 'effect' parameter) on the 2bus. Maximised it with Waves L1+.

First thing i noticed was the bass was consistently sharp so i melodyned it, the player has a wonderful tone, reminded me a lot of the late great Herbie Flowers Big Grin... VERY musical vibrato too! I used tonelux tilt to get the basic sound, the tranny emulation on it does lovely things to bass... As there was a gorgeous SSL desk involved in tracking the session i kept it SSL and used the Duende channel EQ as my main eq throughout. Also used Waves dbx160 (internal side chain engaged) 4:1 hitting 10db GR on loudest parts, as it's KILLER on bass and UAD 2Khz enhancer... sent a little to REVelation for some ERs, a touch to the LX480 and both instances of H3000 to widen and help lift some of the runs... not a huge fan of chorus on fretless bass so prefer a touch of pitch microshift to help widen the mid range and help it sit in the mix better. Used yamaha 260 sidechaned from kick to duck the bass on each kick drum to let the kick pop through better.

Used waves dbx160 on every drum channel... again just killer on drums, fast, easy and sounds great!!!! .... is why most studios will have several 160s of some description! Used uad2 1176 for the hats with spl T Designer to control decay, No compression on OH's but did use spl T Designer to take some decay out.... again uad2 rev a 1176 but all buttons in on room mics..... Used NY comp over the drum shell channels with UAD2 Rev A 1176... a touch of H3000 over snare, hats and overheads to widen and sweeten. Smashed the room mic with 1176 rev a all buttons in, med attack and tweak release to stop pumping... love that trick! Big Grin

1176 Rev E on all guitars..... my favourite guitar compressor! as well as uad de esser after each guitar comp to tame a little.

Piano was tricky phase wise so based it more around the mono room mic to help with this. Used uad2 LA2A silverface comp on stereo pair and rev a 1176 on room mic then Slate 'red' bus comp on their sum....I still feel the piano was a bit much of a compromise and think i may put some more thought into it...
Used slate red bus comp on all sum buses except the bass, which i felt was fine with just the dbx160, and the drums sum bus which i again used the dbx160 with the GR needle just moving @ 4:1.

I quite liked the room mic on the guitar solo so compressed it quite hard with 1176 Rev a and used the 1176 rev e for the mic'ed channel with about 3db GR @ 4:1 then blended..... not sure if i should pull the room mic down a touch though... i sort of like it but not sure if it's a little out of keeping with the rest of the track.....

With the bass being melodyned some of the less in tune vocals now started to sound a bit iffy so i tightened the pitch on them where i felt it needed it. I used uad2 fairchild 670 on both vocal channels, love that comp on vox! as well as uad de esser, also a little echoboy for a subtle slap back to help lift the vox out a bit with some ERs from REVelation and a couple of instances of H300 to widen and fatten.

Finally used yamaha 260 comp on all sum buses sidechained from main vocal so the vocal ducks each sum bus 2-3 db @2:1 whenever vocal is present.

It's just a flat mix at the moment but thought it would be interesting to get some feedback off you guys as there are some seriously talented and highly knowledgable people on here!

.mp3    Francis Dunnery - Immaculate - Flat mix 030116.mp3 --  (Download: 11.46 MB)

i7 4820k, Cubase 7.5, UAD2 Quad/Solo, Adam/Avantone/Tannoy monitoring,
RME HDSPe, SSL pres, Waves/SoundToys/Duende etc plugins...
This mix sounds very strange to me .The vox sound like they are in a different room and the snare sounds like someone
is hitting a Tupper wear pot. It also sounds very out of phase at times .It sounds like you went way over the top with the plugs you used and really cant see why but you must just have a lot of money and want to use them lol. All in all I think this mix is pretty dreadful if im honest
MANY thanks for your feedback... i appreciate you taking the time to critique my mix Big Grin

Do you mean the snare sounds out of phase or parts of the mix in general? I did check the mix often in mono, on a single speaker as opposed to 'phantom centre' as well as using a goniometer and visually checking the phase of each of the drum channels. The stereo pair on the piano IS very odd phase wise and i struggled, as did many others after listening to a lot of other mixes.
Of course plugins and where/when/if to use them is a highly subjective choice, as is pretty much everything else about music Big Grin

Could you elaborate a little more please..... again your feedback would be much appreciated! Big Grin
i7 4820k, Cubase 7.5, UAD2 Quad/Solo, Adam/Avantone/Tannoy monitoring,
RME HDSPe, SSL pres, Waves/SoundToys/Duende etc plugins...