Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fredy V Not Alone by Draper
Very balanced and soothing Smile Great work ....
OK. So some say your mix is too bright and others say too much thickness in the low end. I tend to agree with the latter. I wonder what monitors you are using, maybe KRKs or Mackies? Inquiring minds want to know!

My complaint is minor but your tonal balance (like mine) is consistent in its character and is most probably an artifact of our monitors.
I think I would characterize what I am hearing in your mixes is a kind of a slight veil in the the upper bass/low mids which muddies things a touch. I had this too in my mixes and had to compensate psycho-acoustically. As a result I address this in my mastering process and keep a close watch on my spectrum analyzer, yet some of my mixes may end up too bright (or an apparent scooping of the low mids) for some listeners. The absence of low mids may be a preference of mine as I am partial to a big 80s sound.

Listening to your mixes, I find your first mix to have a better balance in my playback system where the later versions get too thick.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Hey Mix,

I'm using JBL LSR305's with the 10" jbl LSR sub that rounds out my system. It's quite probably the fact that my walls are cinder block, and not really treated. . . .a tuned room goes a long way. But it could be a result of my monitors as well.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts about what could be a potential pitfall in my mixes. I'll see what I can do about working with my high low mids, haha.

Draper
Draper,

I'm embarrassed to say I am using a 2.1 Dell desktop system for my monitors! I actually salvaged these from a client because when I heard them with the sub, they sounded very good to my ears (and isn't that all that matters). Making them work as a studio monitoring system is a big psycho-acoustic stretch, especially in my untreated room. But hey, how many hit songs were auditioned on Auratones? I tried the 305s and the Yamaha HS5s. I really liked the imaging of the JBLs but when I got them in my room they fell apart sonically. The HS5s were tight but really did not offer me any advantage over the 2.1 Dells. At least the Dells, with the sub have some bottom end to them. Maybe too much as a common opinion of my mixes is they lack warmth. I guess another adjustment is necessary.

I look forward to further discourse. Happy Mixing.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
Overall a really nice mix, although I agree with PMilani that the vocal is missing some of the oomph in the low mids. I would love it if you checked out my mix and let me know what you think.