Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper To A Screeeeeeeeeeam - AZ Mix
So I felt myself losing control of this mix after working on it for about a week and decided to call it done and just post it. Not satisfied with certain points but I think it still passes. Maybe need a touch more compression on the vocals (not that I'm not already smashing them to paste...) and was having trouble adding punch to the mix, partly because I don't have an interface and wasn't willing to spend hours drawing in fader movements for the guitar bus. (SONAR doesn't read mouse movements that well for rapid fader riding like I was trying to do.)

Oh, and an observation for all you electronic percussion people. If you listen closely, you'll observe that the hi-hat in the overheads appears on one side of the image but in the stereo room mics, it's on the other side. So I opted to go with the mono mic instead, for what little natural ambiance I added. Something to pay attention to if you're making/mixing tracks.

Anyway, give me your opinions. Comments DEFINITELY welcome on this one since I was having trouble figuring a few things out.

.mp3    whispers-to-a-scream-mixdown.mp3 --  (Download: 9.55 MB)

Old West Audio
Good song, only thing is it needs a different singer with a bit brighter voice.
So I made some tweaks to this and I think I got it to settle down more or less.

I realized that part of my problem was the overheads. There was just way too much shimmer from the cymbals and that was masking stuff. So after fixing that, I added about another 5dB of vocal compression (for a total of like 30+) and made some adjustments to the background vocals. Tweaked the guitar EQ a bit to try to get the balance to feel better, despite the fact that I have them summed to mono and hard panned with a Haas delay in the other channel (down 5dB). I also adjusted the bass compression and reset that level which I feel made a large difference in the overall power.

Anyway, there are not a great deal of changes this version to the prior but I think they were substantive in the end product. Hopefully you lot think this is an improvement. Wink

.mp3    whisper-to-a-scream-mix2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.48 MB)

Old West Audio
Thanks nice mix. Guitars sound crunchy enough despite being muffled. Instruments and everything blend quite well together due to fairly correct tonal weighing. Can't hear any ear fatiguing frequencies.