Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whisper to a Scream
Hi guys I'm new, to this, been mixing for a bit but feel like I could use your thoughts and opinions, Please be honest with me as I would like to get better at this.

This mix is not mastered, though i have placed a limiter in my master channel not really squashing anything but acting as a ceiling for the peaks.

please let me know

GFLR!

.mp3    Johnny Lokke Whisper to a scream tyranos mix.mp3 --  (Download: 4.87 MB)

after listening to other mixes I did a remix, tried to get more punch from bass and guitars. no thing on master channel, not mastered.

look forward to notes
cheers
Tyranos

.mp3    Johnny Lokke Whisper to a scream Tyranos mix 2.1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.96 MB)

I had difficulty with this so can't really add extensive comments but my first observation here is that you're missing the low end on your bass guitar, sounds like. Might also want to go into the vocal and try to notch down a couple of the power points he's got. That will let you bring the vocal up overall for a more in-you-face grab-you-by-the-collar sort of vocal presence. Sounds like your compressor might also be hitting too hard on some of the plosives. I find that I get better behavior if, after getting my vocals set, I give them a listen both soloed and in context and then use clip-gain to knock really problematic syllables down before they hit the compressor. (The particulars set by ear, of course.)
Old West Audio
I listen to both mixes and prefer d the first one which had more of the low mids and lows which i think azwayne is talking about also.

So it would seems you where adding it on the 2 buss .I would go back to the individual tracks and maybe not cut as much or add some low mids and lows if needed (bass and drums)then add the EQ on the 2buss to fine tune things. Also maybe a less attack setting on the snare compressor to let the transient though some.The guitars sound very good.
Hi guys, thank you for the feedback!
I am going to adjust and repost, but first I have a question for Azwyne....
when you say power points do you mean frequencies his vocal range or the parts where he seems to be projecting a bit louder?

I'm glad my first instinct was better than when I tried to remix after hearing other mixes of the same track.
I realize also that the issue with the low frequencies in general may be coming from my room and the position of the speakers within it. I will adjust. thanks again!
cheers!