Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am the one who did the mixing
Not really my genre so I first mixed this as I would like it, then I listened to some mixes here and made some corrections after what I heard. Think it sounds ok. I will not get angry if You tell what I can do better.

(I will not get angry if you say it's perfect either :-))

/C

.mp3    YouAreTheOne.mp3 --  (Download: 15.73 MB)

I think you are running into a tape simulator, but you are hitting it a bit too hard. I'm hearing some tape warble. Try editing out the silences in the beginning to get a cleaner intro.

I like the idea of the effects on the vox, but they feel a bit distracting to me as they are. Maybe loosen up a bit on them.

Maybe a touch too much low end? (Probably a shocker to a lot of people reading this, coming from me).

Overall try clearing out some low mids, and rebalancing after that.

Not terribly far off, I just think you have over processed a few things, which is a terrible pit fall I have fallen into way too many times.

Nice work, just keep going and listening to reference tracks to sort it out!

Draper
Hi Loweche
Thanks for your review.
I use a tapesimulator but have zero wow&flutter.
What do you mean with editing out the silence ? If there is silence how can I edit it out ? Not sure I'm with you here.
Have som evoice effects, but I like them that way.
I had an idea of too much low end myself, but after playing this song all day on my speakers I'm not sure anymore. There are som deep tones on the bass, maybe a small tiny adjustment would fix it.
Low mids hmm, have to check that. :-)
I like this kind of reviews when pointing out certain spots. I'm not able to do that myself, I stick to, I like it or not :-)
Please explain the editing silence thing.

Thanks for listening and comment.

/C

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion. A lot of the tracks are not playing during the intro, but there is quite a bit of hiss present in some tracks (the snare especially) so editing out the parts that were recorded, but no part was playing, will clean up the recording, especially in that really exposed intro. I hope that clarifies!

Cheers!
Draper
Sure it does. Replaced my mix with a new better one after some minor changes. Unfortunately I replaced the old.. But I think you will find this more pleasant for the ears. :-)

Cheers
/C
Would have liked to have listened to your first version just to hear your progression. There does seem to be a fair bit of tape noise that I don't remember having to deal with. Just be careful of any high freq. emphasis through out the tracks, even rolling off the highs with low pass filters where you can. Balance is really good, tonally I'm hearing some upper mid harshness (but I am listening with headphones). The fact that these tracks originally came from tape means that you can usually keep the compression and saturation type processing quite light. Anyway I think it sounds better than "ok" so hopefully you don't get angry.
Dave.
Thanks Dangerous

Better than ok makes you almost my best friend :-)
I will have another listen and see if I maybe can add some low passfilters. I used a tapesimulator from beginning but I removed all noise in my second mix and I also brought up the kick little more. Yeah, unfortunately I replaced my old mix. But there was a lot of tape noise goin on.

Thanks for listening
/C