Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Reason To Leave
I changed the bass because it sounded too much like a sample. I used Peavey Revalver4 "Basic".

I used Lexicon MX400 for the drumverb and QL spaces for the mainverb

I tried to over saturate everything because I think thats how jazz should sound so forgive me.

I applied limiting on the entire mix but keep the RMS to about -15

I think the editing could have been better, because the guitars sound like their transients are gated (chopped) strongly.

If you think my mix sucks, thats fine but just be as constructive as possible.

.mp3    A Reason To Leave.mp3 --  (Download: 9.74 MB)

.mp3    A Reason To Leave2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.72 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
I don't think your mix sucks, but I think there's a big problem with balance. The guitar(s) is dominating the mix, the drums are barely audible (apart from the cymbals), and I'm not quite sure why you changed the sample because your bass is boomy and undefined as well. Overall, it sounds like a duo of guitars and vocals, but the rest of the band is lacking. Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(29-12-2015, 07:51 PM)ptalbot Wrote: I don't think your mix sucks, but I think there's a big problem with balance. The guitar(s) is dominating the mix, the drums are barely audible (apart from the cymbals), and I'm not quite sure why you changed the sample because your bass is boomy and undefined as well. Overall, it sounds like a duo of guitars and vocals, but the rest of the band is lacking. Keep it up! Smile

I used your mix as a reference and used headphones to mix because I think that's what you are using to mix/reference mixes.

I noticed that your mix has phase issue where the backing guitar disappears in the chorus and much of your spatial image when in mono.

I think your bass sample is unnatural and that's why I changed it. it doesn't sound good.

I like the way my original mix sounds and I think the balance is good. I think that when you wear the hat of artist/engineer/producer that there's a tendency to become too close to the project and wind up being able to only compare to the original mix.

I used HS5 with a sub as my reference monitors for the first mix and audio-technica M50's for the latter. I also referenced the second mix, along with your mix with Samson headphones.

My conclusion is, this is my mix.

Keep it up, whatever that's supposed to mean... well I'll be direct, keep practicing.Wink

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1