Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wayfaring Stranger
Here's my take. Went for a more traditional panned sax and piano arrangement. Not a lot of corrective work seemed to be required and general processing was light. Only issues I faced was trying to dry up the sax somewhat and finding suitable reverbs for the vox and global processing. A very enjoyable tune to mix. Thanks for listening...
Dave.

.mp3    Wayfaring Stranger Spektakulatius #1.mp3 --  (Download: 11.74 MB)

Overall mix is very good, I like it a lot.

Excellent sax and vox to my ears.

Normally I would end my comments here, but here’s some bonus nitpicking comments that shouldn’t be taken too seriously, as the mix is very good the way it is.

Maybe too dry piano. As darker frequency balance tells my ears/brains that it’s a distant piano, it would be nice to hear a bit more room to verify that message. Now (for example in intro riff) the piano note dies immediately telling me that room is very dry. At the same time sax (and later the drums) are telling that room is quite live and spacious. I’m not after serious realism - that’s boring - but it could be just a smallest tail to piano that fixes that issues

Some extra niggling. Kick not in center. Audible with headphones. Well, in my book, it doesn’t have to be in center, but now there’s some moving low frequency reverb stuff happening that makes it difficulty to locate exactly the kick. This could be fixed easily if you have any kind of ”mono-maker” - ie. a plugin that makes only a low end mono under 90-100 hz.
Thanks for the "nitpicking" thats exactly what I'm after. I really struggle with piano and somehow always feel defeated before I even start mixing. I know I rolled off some of the highs to push it back somewhat, so I may need to send a bit more of it to the reverb. As for the kick, yes it should be centre. An oversight on my part will have to check it out, as you say, may be the reverb track is moving it off centre or maybe one of the panned tracks. Thanks Olli, gives me something tinker with.
Dave.
About kick: it could be for example that we first hear the kick tail from piano tracks and little bit later from the sax track. That would make a small reverb movement from left to right.
Mix #2. Done some diggin' with the kick issue. Found that the kick is also very prominent in the piano track (panned) and with the reverb was moving across floor in a strange way. Have moved the piano back to a stereo centre position and have giving it some extra presence as well as sending some more of it through the reverb send. I have also raised the kick somewhat now that is appears more focused.
Dave.

.mp3    Wayfaring Stranger Spektakulatius #2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.74 MB)

I like it
Thanks Olli