Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
My Remember
Hello Everybody! Here my try

.mp3    C U Next Time v 3.mp3 --  (Download: 5.2 MB)

My Band - FireLips
Hiya Reflex

I don't know if this is the effect you went for with your production, but it sounds like a big concert recorded live in a stadium (apart from the vocals which are quite dry in comparison)
If so, you hit the mark! Smile

But it is making the song very dense and the instruments 'blurry' so it might pay to back off the reverb send for some of the instruments or reduce the level of the effect's channel itself to let the song get a bit more space between the notes. In particular the bass and kick are drowned during the chorus with the wash of guitars. The kick is pretty hard to hear for most of the song, actually.
There is a lot of mids and upper mids but not a lot of clarity down the bottom end of things.
A bit of judicial EQ and maybe some volume adjustments to the main guitars will help the bottom register of the track stand out a bit more.

[edit - just checked out some other mixes and the song itself is pretty dense with a wall of guitars, so it may not be a reverb problem that is causing the blurriness. It could just be the type of song that has a lot going on and needs some careful adjustments of the individual elements to stop them from stomping all over each other. I just know I'm going to eat my words when I start working on the track myself]

"The track you have put together is on par with the others I listened to so it is likely that it is a tricky song to get right"...I think I can live with that statement getting flung back at me when I have my version up LOL! Big Grin
So many songs, so little time!
Hi Dags! Thank you for listening.

I' ve wanted to mix this song only with Waves SSl G Channel Plug-in, to simulate an analogic work, and maybe this is the problem that you hear.
My Band - FireLips
Awesome! I think it's good giving yourself a challenge like that, and you'll learn much more about what the plugin is capable of.
Good work indeed!

The song itself is very densely packed with lots of thick guitars, which are integral to the style of song it is, so it is going to be a tricky process to keep them up in the mix whilst letting through the other essential ingredients such as bass & kick...and vocals.

With the SSL plugin, use the HPF to remove the murk below about 100 - 150Hz from the guitar and you'll then get more of the bass coming through the mix.
Also, if you don't already know, press the Dynamics to Out button (or whatever it says) so that the compressor comes after the EQ section if that's how you're used to working. Strangely, by default the dynamics comes *before* the EQ in that plugin, though the layout suggests the other way around.

Here's a really useful video on this suite
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2012/1...iew-video/

BTW, I don't know if you have noticed, but it seems the SSL compressor (the master comp) has the 2:1 and 10:1 ratio settings the wrong way around!! When I use it to try to do some very slight compression across the buss at 2:1, it slams the reduction meter. Clicking it across to 10:1 gets it to behave like a 2:1 ratio.
Stupid Waves programmers.

Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Yeah! I know Graham and her videos!

If I remember correctly, the HPF was set at 80-100Hz, maybe I have to set to 150HzBlush

The Dynamics to Out button is always active, normally I work in this way

(07-04-2013, 12:32 AM)Dags Wrote: it seems the SSL compressor (the master comp) has the 2:1 and 10:1 ratio settings the wrong way around!!

Huh I will Check!!

Thanks Dags, and sorry for my English Blush
My Band - FireLips
Over comped room,overheads? loads of comp in there.
Yes, the Room track is very compressed and distorted. I wanted to do an experiment
My Band - FireLips
Experiments are a good way to come across some great things.
I watched a vid with a producer mixing drums using waves solo
guitar fx,how mad does that sound.
WOW!
Can you link video?
My Band - FireLips
Not a clue where it is now,it was on youtube somewhere