Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left Blind Mix
The RHY GTR's were all the same take which is no good, however, they were adjusted using HASS effect (not the best way to make GTR sound Bigger).

I went with a Recto Sound to stay true to the genre

I replaced SN and KD w/Drumagog 5 using EZ Drummer Sample libraries

I tried to use as little Compression as possible.

Not a fan of the Tom sound but I couldn't replace w/out getting into trouble. The existing Toms are too dead and tight.

I printed using a VLA II, BBE and Aphex aural exciter, all with as transparent processing as I could tolerate.

SECOND TAKE

I replaced the TOMS and Added more Compression (if you can't tell haha) I deleted the AMB Drum trk and bussed the drums out to a Lexicon MX400 for my plate verb

I took out the BBE on the print and Compressed the VLA II untill it was limiting rather than compressing.

I Scooped the Mids on the guitars between 2/3 khz. -3db.

Thumbnail(s)

.mp3    Left Behind.mp3 --  (Download: 5.83 MB)

.mp3    Left Blind 2.2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.82 MB)

My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
Hi Wes, your mix seems to be balanced pretty well however it seems to be rather unglued. The guitars have a really heavy sounds but their low mids seem to be smothering the bass and the kick. The vocals are dominating the guitars and the snare and kick don't work together, the snare is too snappy and the kick has too much low mids and not enough click or sub. Also it seems the amp sim is being clipped out and that is causing a really funky distortion on the guitars that makes them brittle.I would suggest killing most of the low end in the overhead mics so the kick and snare close mic'ed tracks can cut through the mix more and low passing the guitars at around 9-10 kHz to remove some of the fizz. A low mid scoop around 300-450 Hz would help the guitars sit better in the mix overall and add some clarity. I like the delay at the end on the vocals and the track has an late 90's early 2000's underground metalcore production vibe about it which is cool.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
(20-12-2015, 05:26 AM)dcp10200 Wrote: Hi Wes, your mix seems to be balanced pretty well however it seems to be rather unglued. The guitars have a really heavy sounds but their low mids seem to be smothering the bass and the kick. The vocals are dominating the guitars and the snare and kick don't work together, the snare is too snappy and the kick has too much low mids and not enough click or sub. Also it seems the amp sim is being clipped out and that is causing a really funky distortion on the guitars that makes them brittle.I would suggest killing most of the low end in the overhead mics so the kick and snare close mic'ed tracks can cut through the mix more and low passing the guitars at around 9-10 kHz to remove some of the fizz. A low mid scoop around 300-450 Hz would help the guitars sit better in the mix overall and add some clarity. I like the delay at the end on the vocals and the track has an late 90's early 2000's underground metalcore production vibe about it which is cool.

Thanks for the observation. I took some of your suggestions and applied them to the new mix. Im not a fan of the overheads in general, but this is as good as I could make it with my skillz.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1