Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix
Please tell me what is wrong with it.

.mp3    Lost My Way.mp3 --  (Download: 3.9 MB)

I’m sure your room or headphones are giving you wrong frequency balance. So they are lying to you, I quess.

Now the bass is too loud, and too little energy between 1-3 k. Try to balance the bass with the kick. And if you add 6 db to somewhere around 1 k to master channel/band buss, the song will start to groove differently.

Also the snare is almost non-existent in choruses. Cymbals mask it quite efficently.

If you plan to work this, I’d suggest to use for example CCR ”Have You Ever Seen The Rain” (or somethin similar) as a reference, to refresh your ears for balances. And compare your frequency balance to it with it some frequency meter.
Thank You
Olli H was right on the money about your EQ. The mids are gone. It sounds like a typical "smiley face" EQ curve. Not very well balanced at all. The bass volume is fine. There's just too much in the lowest frequencies. If you were to roll off the lows and bring up the mids on the bass, I think the entire mix would be greatly improved.

As far as the snare, I think the level is fine, its the overheads that need some taming. Again, very crispy highs with very little in the mids.