Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Haunted Age - Mix/'Master'
I had a shot at mixing this tune as I have seen some interesting discussions on it lately. Decided to leave the arrangement and any major editing as it was just to save time.

I'm quite pleased with the instrumental mix - drums are mixed with no samples and I ran the guitars through some impulses (yes, the tuning is dodgy - I left out the clean guitar). The bass performance lets it down sadly, but some interesting tones could be found hidden in it.

I'm not so pleased with the vocals - I couldn't seem to get the same clarity as some of the other mixes I've heard. Any advice on this?

Ran it through a 'mastering' chain to bring up the volume and fill it out a bit.

Cheers!

.mp3    HA Master.mp3 --  (Download: 4.55 MB)

the guitar sound is the reason why there is no space for vocals. I think i have used Gain Reduction to compress the vocals, but I can't remember any big eq moves on the vocals, just high & low cuts.
What happened to the drums here? also the guitar sounds squashed and there's barely any bass there at least there's decent stereo separation in the guitars
Cool cheers for the feedback guys.

I prefer quiet cymbals and loud shells, but perhaps that is a bit unbalanced in this case. I think the squashed sound is probably the bus compression - still figuring all that out.
Hello, my advice for vocals is to not too much eq it : a high-pass and a boost around 8-9 kHz and it should be good.
Lot of compression, and a bit of delay (send, not insert. Very short delay, one echo).
That's what I did on this one.