Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Take It Off__Need Feedback
Hey everyone, this is Sai. I'm pretty much amateur at mixing stuff, but I'm learning, and trying real hard. This is my attempt at mixing/mastering this multitrack.

I'm in desperate need of very honest/critical feedback. Undecided

Speaking of myself, I'm pretty much satisfied with the mix, Blush but I know I still have a long way to go.

So, thanks for your patience, and your feedback.

Cheers! Smile

.mp3    Neon_Hornet-Take_It_Off.mp3 --  (Download: 9.43 MB)

A start, before I can stop..
Hi Sai you say that you've just starting out? but you are attempting the near impossible aspecially as a amateur,, mixing and mastering, even the pros have problems trying to do both, what I would say is keep to one until you get really good at it, iam no pro myself but I think your lead vocal are way upfront, keep trying Smile.
Yeah, that mastering thing is just to bring up the levels mainly, maybe I'll eq a bit in the process as well, but mainly concentrating on the mixing process.

As for the lead vocals, you're kinda right. It's a bit upfront, but lowering the levels seems to drown the vocals. Actually I really can't find the optimal level of the vocals. Maybe it's because there's no place in the mix that the vocals can sit . I'm finding the eq thing a bit daunting.

But, thanks for thd listen and the feedback. Really appreciate it.. Cheers.. Big Grin
your mix is a bit vocal heavy, especially during the chorus. Since this is a rock song you can always get away with more aggressive compression on the vocals, and that might help you with your vocal problems. If you dont like the sound from using 1 heavy compressor on the vocals, try putting 2 compressors back to back to split the amount of compression they are doing. That way you can get the compression you need without the negative effects of doing it all with one compressor

Also try cutting out some low end of the vocals, they come across a bit muddy.

The bass and drums are a bit quiet for my taste. I honestly think the drums could use some parallel compression to beef them up, but i wouldnt worry too much about that considering you are still learning. I think its a great first attempt. Remember that this is a long journey and dont get discouraged! keep it up!
(29-12-2015, 01:36 AM)JClean17 Wrote: your mix is a bit vocal heavy, especially during the chorus. Since this is a rock song you can always get away with more aggressive compression on the vocals, and that might help you with your vocal problems. If you dont like the sound from using 1 heavy compressor on the vocals, try putting 2 compressors back to back to split the amount of compression they are doing. That way you can get the compression you need without the negative effects of doing it all with one compressor

Also try cutting out some low end of the vocals, they come across a bit muddy.

The bass and drums are a bit quiet for my taste. I honestly think the drums could use some parallel compression to beef them up, but i wouldnt worry too much about that considering you are still learning. I think its a great first attempt. Remember that this is a long journey and dont get discouraged! keep it up!

Thanks for your feedback mate. I'm still struggling to get my vocal levels right. Having problems judging my own mixes, and it really great having someone else's perspective. Cheers!
Not sure what effects you're using but it sounds like something is majorly out of phase. The original tracks for this song were recorded pretty well. When I played with it I only had to invert phase on a couple of drums and make some minor EQ tweaks here and there. Try mixing this with no EQ or compression, then go back the next day and listen to it with fresh ears. Then make your EQ and compression tweaks. Remember, with mixing it's all about subtle moves and balance. Don't worry about the mastering. That has nothing to do with mixing. If you want to get your volume up, just insert a limiter at the end of the chain on your master mix bus.
Vocals need eq work,drums are weak,this is not an easy song to mix.
Hey everyone, thanks for all the amazing feedback on the mix.
I mixed it once again, hope it's better than the first one.
Thanks for your time once again.. Cheers..Smile

.mp3    Neon_Hornet-Take_It_Off_III.mp3 --  (Download: 9.31 MB)

Sounding awesome! Agree that it sounds out of phase or something, needs more depth. I rekon you could try out expanding the EQ spectrum a bit, get some lows in there, get more 2.5/3K and above into the mix, sounds a bit hi-fi at the moment. That guitar on the right could be tamed a bit, maybe with some comp and verb to push it back a tad but that's just me Tongue The best thing here is you didn't try do crazy stuff, just stayed true to the recording