Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left Blind Mixed by DCP
I started mixing this after I finished my final mix/master of Ill Fate but I was never happy with the mixes I was getting so I scrapped them all and didn't touch this track untill sometime last week. I think what was bugging me the most was my drum sounds, I did resample the drums on the previous versions of this track, however I kept finding that my ususal samples in ezdrummer didn't really cut it and the original drum tracks, while good for rock and indie and other lighter genres, didn't really suit metalcore. After experimenting for a while last week I finally got the sound I was looking for, so I printed the samples and went to work. The overheads are hipassed at 2 kHz to get rid of the rest of the kit elements save for the cymbals. The kick I ended up using was from the Ez Drummer Metal! expansion (Ring Smack Kick) and the snare and toms are from Metal Machine (Dunnett Titanium Snare and Ludwig Stainless Steel Toms). I also included the room and overhead mics from The Classic Ez Drummer expansion as that seemed to glue it all together. Apart from some Eq to fit the kick into the mix and some gated reverb and compression on the snare the kit is unprocessed. The bass is run into an 1176 emulation taking off 5-6 dBs of gain with a fast attack and release followed by some eq (boost at 110 Hz and a cut at 700 Hz) from a 1073 emulation
with some preamp drive, then a compressor taking another 2 dB of gain off, a little tape saturation and a limiter taking 3 dB off, resulting in a very consistent and heavy bass tone. The hardpanned rhythm guitar is run through an emulation of a 5150 through an orange and mesa 412 cab in guitar rig 5, and the center panned rhythm guitar is run through a Recto emulation through the same cabs in guitar rig with the mix varied on the cabs. The guitars have been grouped and eq'ed to taste. The lead guitar has a phaser on it and is eq'ed to taste. The lead vocals are compressed and eq'ed to taste with a little bit og GClip for some subtle grit and to even the vocals. Gangs are highpassed at 300 Hz with a shelf boost at 6.2 kHz. the mix is run though a SSL Compressor emulation and a Neve master section emulation. The intro is Lo-Fied untill the 21 Second mark. Mastering was some Eq opimizing, multiband compression, tape saturation, and limiting up to K12 master level. Please leave you critiques and comments. Enjoy.

P.S Sorry for the long winded description Big Grin

.mp3    Left Blind Master.mp3 --  (Download: 3.55 MB)

Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
This is hilarious, in a good way of course. I think you really took advantage of the genre using the notch filter in the beginning and then with the bass drops and also the notched vox at the end. Cool.
My Original Music

"One often learns more from ten days of agony than ten years of contentment."

Pro Tools 12.6/Studio One 3 Pro
Studiolive 16 Series III
Yamaha HS5/HS8
Console 1
(19-12-2015, 11:47 PM)wesleyamltd Wrote: This is hilarious, in a good way of course. I think you really took advantage of the genre using the notch filter in the beginning and then with the bass drops and also the notched vox at the end. Cool.
Thanks for the reply Wes! When I was listening to the track before I started mixing, I could hear in my mind some sub drops at crucial moments in the track to really amp it up. The mono bandpass on the track also seemed to make the intro more like an intro as well. I'm headed on over to have a look at your mix now.
Mixing is way more art and soul than science. We don’t really know what we’re doing. We do it because we love music! It’s the love of music first. Eddie Kramer

Gear list: Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, Mbox Mini w/Pro Tools Express, Reaper, Various plugins, AKG K240 MKii, Audio Technica ATH M50x, Yorkville YSM 6
New mix and master, this time I only used a very short (30 ms) ping pong delay as the space for my lead vocal and guitar and mostly early refections for reverb on the toms and snare. The kick drum was fattened up with Rbass and the bass guitar is less clanky. Please leave your comments and critiques below, enjoy!

.mp3    Left Blind Master 2.mp3 --  (Download: 3.54 MB)

the subs in mix 2 take too much time to fade out. the subs should loose the energy faster because they overshadow everything -anyway it feels like they don't really belong to the song. mix 2 also sounds flat and lifeless.

Mix 1 is cool, but I don't really like the Pantera kick. It fits the song/genre so it's more a personal thing. Snare is too boxy imho - i miss the smack/snap. The subs sound weird too.
(04-04-2016, 03:54 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: the subs in mix 2 take too much time to fade out. the subs should loose the energy faster because they overshadow everything -anyway it feels like they don't really belong to the song. mix 2 also sounds flat and lifeless.

Mix 1 is cool, but I don't really like the Pantera kick. It fits the song/genre so it's more a personal thing. Snare is too boxy imho - i miss the smack/snap. The subs sound weird too.

Thanks again for the critique, just had a quick comparison listen to both version and the first mix was better overall, if you're wondering that sub drop was just a free sample I downloaded from Matthew Wiess from the Pro Audio Files. Those samples were more meant for Hip Hop and EDM. I probably would process them differently now but I still like the over the top feel of them in the first mix.

I'm more a fan of the Terry Date Pantera style kicks for the Hatebreed and Throwdown style of metalcore that Hollowground fall into, I'm still going to remix this track though to get some more thump in the kick and make the click less obnoxious and make the snare more cracky.

I love throwdown. Burial at sea is a complete End of Heartache rippoff (same structure, similar riffs, same breaks, same length) but still a fantastic song. The guitars on Deathless are extremely beefy and counter the drums which sound kinda light and thin imho. Just listen to Black Vatican: The guitars totally dominate this song. Same with "This Continuum"