Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motherload - Olli H
My version of this song. Great singer.

EDIT
New version in post #4. Bass timing fixed.

.mp3    merrygold2-2015-12-09-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

(09-12-2015, 03:06 PM)Olli H Wrote: My version of this song. Great singer.

Nice work. I wish I'd panned the banjo opposite the guitar like a sane person...like you did.

Not sure what you did to the bass, but I like it. I took the DI track and ran it through a modeler to flatten it out, which is probably sacrilige...yours still has dynamics.

Did you end up using any of the room tracks?

It's a great, intimate mix. Hell, it was a good recording to start with, right?
Lovely sounding mix as usual Olli !
Listening on Hd600 the bass sounds a touch full by 1 or 2 db in the mid bass area around 100-200hz probably personal taste thing.
Maybe it is my muso imagination ,the bass timing sounds like it is a touch out of time maybe because it's a touch upfront.

Please Help Mike Keep This Awesome Educational Site Alive And Become A patron !
https://www.patreon.com/CambridgeMT/posts

Damn, you're right about the bass. I had rendered the bass to save some cpu, but it had moved forward during that process.

So here's the new version with fixed bass. I also narrowed a bit the sterefield.

.mp3    merrygold2-hd-2015-12-09-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.88 MB)

(11-12-2015, 03:36 AM)honestmango Wrote: Did you end up using any of the room tracks?

It's a great, intimate mix. Hell, it was a good recording to start with, right?

Thanks
I didn't use any of those room mic. I created new room by myself. But I did wonder whether Telefunken really thought that this recording is a good example of their Decca tree setup. I'm sure that one could use it with great results, but this example didn't convince me at all.
great sound mix! nice and wide could do with abit more snare drum maybe? check mine out if you get a chance, cheers