Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MerryGold Motherload
Hello you there. Please listen to my mix and give comments.
Thanks! Dodder261

.mp3    Merrygold Motherload.mp3 --  (Download: 8.95 MB)

I like the overall sound. Especially vox feels good. I like the mono feeling you gave to this.

Some minor notes:

Bass is little bit unsteady. Some notes disapper here and there

You banjo is quite far away. Bluegrass music has a very loyal audience, so I guess there must be people who wants to hear banjo.

As the main guitar is little bit on the left side and very near, the overall sound feels to be on the left. Maybe a stronger banjo on the right side could help with that issue.

Good mix

Olli H,

Thanks for listening and the useful criticism.

Dodder261

(09-12-2015, 06:28 PM)Dodder261 Wrote: Olli H,
Thanks for listening and the useful criticism.
Dodder261
I have to agree with Olli H that the banjo could come up in your mix. You'll find that if you bring it up on the opposite side that you have the guitar (not the strumming guitar, but the one that does the solo) through much of the song, the banjo complements and/or answers the guitar. They make a nice couple and widen the mix when placed opposite each other. Feel free to check out my mix for an example of this. I probably brought the banjo a bit too far forward, but you can hear how they complement each other this way.

On that bass: Since the mic was probably placed too close to the "f" hole, notes that are near the resonant frequencies of that hole will come out louder and others softer. To get around this, you'll probably have to either ride the bass (with automation) or compress it. I think I need to ride it in mine (in a remix) at some point because I don't want to compress it any more.

That was a good move to bring up the guitar solo. Many have missed that point and it is an important hook in the song.

Hope this is helpful...
Walt
Thanks for listening and the useful comments.
Gonna look at the banjo again.
Dodder261