Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hrm... Hard to come up with a Catchy Title. MY MIX
Hi. I've been home mixing for awhile. I have a 25 year old daughter who never had any interest in learning, even though she's a very active recording musician...but my 18 year old son has shown some interest and some talent, so I am sort of re-kindling my interest and I found this site. What a cool idea.

The only problem I have is that these tracks are so clean that they really don't require much mixing! I'm used to having to work a lot harder.

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated. I didn't use the room mics, but I probably used more reverb than I should have.

.mp3    Mother LodeMangoShot.mp3 --  (Download: 7.14 MB)

Very live sound. I like it. Suits fine these multitracks.

I like the fact that your mix is wide, but with headphones it feels a little bit too wide. Maybe the problem that I think I’m hearing is caused by the solo guitar that is very far in right, but it seems to me that nothing is balancing it on the left.

If you could make the low-end mono, it would make the overall sound more focused. Now the bass feels to be walking around the stage. (center, center, left, center, left) Do you have some sort of stereo effect with it or is it just my mind?

In the opening snare feels a bit too loud and unrhythmic but when the whole band plays together, I think it just the way it should be.

Overall sound is very good to my ears.
(09-12-2015, 03:28 PM)Olli H Wrote: Very live sound. I like it. Suits fine these multitracks.

I like the fact that your mix is wide, but with headphones it feels a little bit too wide. Maybe the problem that I think I’m hearing is caused by the solo guitar that is very far in right, but it seems to me that nothing is balancing it on the left.

If you could make the low-end mono, it would make the overall sound more focused. Now the bass feels to be walking around the stage. (center, center, left, center, left) Do you have some sort of stereo effect with it or is it just my mind?

In the opening snare feels a bit too loud and unrhythmic but when the whole band plays together, I think it just the way it should be.

Overall sound is very good to my ears.

Thanks for the listen...I came back to it after a day and came to the same conclusion about the balance, so I pulled up the session to put the banjo on the other side with the accordion. The session got corrupted somehow, so I viewed it as a sign that I needed to abandon the project, lol.

The only thing I did to the bass was to run the DI track through a modeler to fatten it up some. It shouldn't have effected the panning of the bass, but it may have created some phase issues. I wish I could go back and tweak it, because I mixed it before listening to any other examples, and I totally agree about leaving the snare out of the intro like others did.

Very nice of you to comment.