Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Haunted Age' Sunset Studios Mix
Hey guys (and girls), first time posting on here so go easy on me Tongue

Well, this was an interesting one.

The guitars were out of tune and just sounded horrible, so I used the Poulin LeCab impulse loader for the distorted guitars, with an Orange 4x12 cab impulse, to give the guitars a more 'realistic' sound so to say. Before the first breakdown I experimented with some filtering, glitching and panning tricks within Reaper and for my first try, I think it turned out quite well.

The drums on the other hand were the most easiest drum stems I have worked with. the only thing added to those were compression, reverb and some free snare samples.

For the bass I used the TSE BOD Bass plugin, which is a free digital VST plugin copy of the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass driver. Can't go wrong with this plugin, every bass I put through this just sounds soooooooo good.

The vocals were quite interesting too. Since this fucking 'vocalist' (if you can even call him that) has no idea how to project his screams at all, they were a pain the ass to say the least. But, in saying this, I can't even scream if my life depended on it, so I guess I'm calling the kettle black or whatever.

Lastly I added some explosions (Gunshots, glass shatter, reverse snares, shotgun pumps, ect.) to enhance heavy parts of the song.

Well that's all from me! if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

Catch ya- Josh

.mp3    \'Haunted Age\' - Sunset Studios Mix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.05 MB)

There are two vocal tracks - one main growl track and one black-metal-style vocal track. It doesnt make sense to put the thin, raspy black metal track in the spotlight - of course that sounds like shit. To be honest I think it's quite easy to mix the vocals of this song. You just have to follow the flow of the lyrics and use the black metal voice as some sort of vocal fx. Yu can hear what I mean in this mix:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...?tid=10952

the song still sounds like crap with all the out-of-tune-guitars. it was really, really painfull to listen to your mix (it's not your fault, I know) Smile

The samples are cool, but they don't really fit this song. they sound "fake" because the rest of the tracks are so crappy.
I will repeat what blitzzz said, but the important voice track is the low pitch vocal, not the black-ish one.
At some moment there's a crash too loud and too panned for my ears.

Anyway, I fell the balance was good.