Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First bash
Hi folks,
first try here. I've got an idea there's something wrong in the low mids but not sure how to deal with it...

Interested to know what folks think, thanks in advance!

.mp3    hg PRAC 2611A.mp3 --  (Download: 6.01 MB)

Hey there! Well the things that i see that u could fix are:

Obviously the drums, it's too raw to my taste, also a lot of room wich i personally dont like much...You have a lot of rumble going on with the kick so summed with the bass it makes it difficult to understand the rest of the instruments. For that u could try some multiband compression on the master and obviously eqing with a bit more detail both the kick drum and bass and comparing each other so they dont sum the same frequencies......

Is it me or the guitar on the left is almos lost?

With this kind of mix in wich u have to reamp the guitars u are at the expense of ur software so sometimes u cant do much...But maybe a bit of a cut around 900hz and a hpf to clean all the sub from the software that makes it all a mess usually...

Lastly if u have time and want to do it cleaning up the drum tracks will help define the drums, it takes time but its worthy...And if you havent started with drum replacement u should take a look at that and get some kind of plugin for that...it helps a lot.

Hope it'll help Wink

Ak3r
Awesome comments, thanks. It is likely the left guitar is lower in volume, I am partially deaf there and forget to check sometimes (yeah, no plans for a career in mixing, don't worry! )

I might play around and try a less raw mix too with drum replacement etc. at some point. I notice I've gone the opposite direction with this mix than a lot of folks here with the raw sound but I thought it fitted the song and just went with it. Actually for this mix I had only a little eq and verb on the snare...
Thanks!
S
I guess this kind of music lately it's been very very much produced...i mean...u can listen to a lot or hardcore band or so and those albums are brutal...and brutally produced...so i guess that's a reason why ppl might choose to go that way, but i guess u choose the old school black/death metal path hehehe, wich i like, this sounds to me as if it was recorded live in a rehearsal. I'll keep an eye on you in case u decide to make a less raw mix of it.

Cheers

Ak3r