Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new try at Daisy Daisy
Hey guys,

So last year i did my first mix ever on the song daisy daisy. I uploaded two versions in a thread on this forum.
After listening to my old mix, I decided to give it another try to see if I progressed throughout the year.

I will upload the 2 versions of 2014, and the new 2015 mix.

I would love to get feedback from you guys to know if my new mix is better and if I have progressed in your opinion and if there are some mistakes I need to adjust.

*One thing I did notice was that my kick did not really cut through the mix like all those other great punk songs.
I used parallel compression on the kick where i eq'd the compressed signal around 2khz to get that beater attack sound and placed a high pass filter to take out the boomy compressed lows.
It did a small difference but I was never able to achieve what i wanted for the kick, and i didn't want to add samples.*

Cheers!

.mp3    DaisyDaisy v.1 (2014).mp3 --  (Download: 6.55 MB)

.mp3    DaisyDaisy v.2 (2014).mp3 --  (Download: 6.52 MB)

.mp3    DaisyDaisy v.3 (2015).mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

kick smack is usually 4kHz and 8kHz, though sometimes 2kHz is also in need of adjustment. Sounds like you should examine 4kHz in your mix and maybe back off 2kHz a hair. Otherwise, it actually sounds like you got the kick fairly well in there.

There are times, though, when EQ just doesn't work. When that happens, most reach for either Drumagog or Slate's Trigger (which may be the better of the two) to add maybe 10-20% of a similar sound from the sample library (not typically a total replacement although you have that option) to add the missing elements.

Another method of doing this are, as you indicate, parallel compression with a moderate ratio (4:1, say) pretty fast attack time and fair gain reduction. High pass at 350Hz (so that you still have some of the body sound but not the mud) and low pass at 10k and you're set.

A trick Dave Pensado let us in on recently was adding in along with other elements a tiny touch of side stick (which is more easily done with slate) to accentuate the click. Good for adding a bit of bite to a slightly mushy drum sound to help it cut through a mix without being overwhelming.

I believe I also recall someone using the parallel compression trick but also gating it fairly sharply on and off and then adjusting the hold open timer to give it the sound they wanted. Tuck this in just a hair under the the main track and you get a nice, tight sounding kick.

In general, there's not to say about the latest mix you've put together. I think it came together pretty well and definitely shows improvement over the others.
Old West Audio
(27-11-2015, 05:17 AM)azwayne Wrote: kick smack is usually 4kHz and 8kHz, though sometimes 2kHz is also in need of adjustment. Sounds like you should examine 4kHz in your mix and maybe back off 2kHz a hair. Otherwise, it actually sounds like you got the kick fairly well in there.

There are times, though, when EQ just doesn't work. When that happens, most reach for either Drumagog or Slate's Trigger (which may be the better of the two) to add maybe 10-20% of a similar sound from the sample library (not typically a total replacement although you have that option) to add the missing elements.

Another method of doing this are, as you indicate, parallel compression with a moderate ratio (4:1, say) pretty fast attack time and fair gain reduction. High pass at 350Hz (so that you still have some of the body sound but not the mud) and low pass at 10k and you're set.

A trick Dave Pensado let us in on recently was adding in along with other elements a tiny touch of side stick (which is more easily done with slate) to accentuate the click. Good for adding a bit of bite to a slightly mushy drum sound to help it cut through a mix without being overwhelming.

I believe I also recall someone using the parallel compression trick but also gating it fairly sharply on and off and then adjusting the hold open timer to give it the sound they wanted. Tuck this in just a hair under the the main track and you get a nice, tight sounding kick.

In general, there's not to say about the latest mix you've put together. I think it came together pretty well and definitely shows improvement over the others.

Nice, yea i tweaked around with the high frequencies and your trick worked out.

Cheers, thanks for the feedback! Smile