Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Young Griffo - "Facade" Xaurudame Mix
Long time no post!

I've wanted to tackle this one for a long time, so I did. Here's my mix of "Facade" by Young Griffo.

I read the mix rescue article and tried to do some of the same techniques Mike used. I created a fake double track with the guitars after doing some phase cancellation to make their overall tone. I took a heavy mix bus approach forcing 4 plugins to do a lot of the EQ work. I re-sampled the cymbals using some stock cymbal samples included with my DAW (Studio One 2 Pro). I referenced the song to Mike's remix as well as "All the World is Mad" by Thrice.

Overall the mix was practice in editing patience, lots of little tweaks to make everything sound cohesive. In my opinion these tracks really weren't in the greatest shape to be mixed, but the mix must be done!

Let me know what you guys think!

Robert- a.k.a. Xaurudame

.mp3    Young Griffo - Facade.mp3 --  (Download: 6.35 MB)

Pronounced Zar-oo-da-may
The greats weren't great because at birth they could paint, the greats were great because they painted alot.
EQ on the bass is off. Making things muddy. Also could probably drop back a touch.

Watch out that the vocals don't get burried during the chorus. In fact, EQ on vocals could probably use more attention.

The solo guitar is almost non-existant.

Fake doubled guitar parts is all good and well for adding tone but be careful you don't just throw the dynamics of the song out of whack. (Of course, it also looks like you put a good deal of compression on the final mix and that's probably throwing things off as well, munging both tone and dynamics so it's kinda hard to fairly judge specifics.)

Old West Audio