Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HollowGround_IllFate_Full MIXXX
Im not really into metal, but this one was fun to mix. a totally different animal than classic rock, with very different aesthetic approaches and different rules. I did a lot of filtering in the kick, compression and more filtering. parallel compression on bass an drums. guitars were kind of difficult for me. I found it hard to get the right tone. comments are welcome

.mp3    HollowGround_IllFate_Full MIXXX.mp3 --  (Download: 5.42 MB)

Hi xaco, nice mix overall! I like the presence of the drum and the bass guitar! It seems that the guitars have some issues with the phase, how did you treat it?
Hi Teste . you are right, somethig is not working with the guitars. first I used just the miked guitars, but it sounded a little dull, so I added the DI´s with a waves amp plug-in, (probably not a good choice). guitars one and two panned hard left and right, and just bit of guitar 3 DI in the middle. Sent all to a buss, filtered (HPF at 70 Hz and LPF at 11K) , some multiband compression to tame the lows , tubes emulation and gentle EQ. thats it. Maybe I should have used just the DI´s . wich amp emulation plug in do you recomend for this type of music. I have guitar rig 4 but I really dont like it that much. thanks for your feedback man!!!
(19-11-2015, 12:29 AM)XACO Wrote: Hi Teste . you are right, something is not working with the guitars. first I used just the miked guitars, but it sounded a little dull, so I added the DI´s with a waves amp plug-in, (probably not a good choice). guitars one and two panned hard left and right, and just bit of guitar 3 DI in the middle. Sent all to a buss, filtered (HPF at 70 Hz and LPF at 11K) , some multiband compression to tame the lows , tubes emulation and gentle EQ. thats it. Maybe I should have used just the DI´s . wich amp emulation plug in do you recommend for this type of music. I have guitar rig 4 but I really don't like it that much. thanks for your feedback man!!!

Hi Xaco, I can't recommend you a specific plugin because in my mix I used only the mics signals. First I checked the phase between mics than I did a simple eq to cut the low resonances in the single tracks, blended the two mics signal to obtain a good sound, then I sent the blended signal to a dedicate bus, one for the guitar 1 and one for the guitar 2, panned hard left, hard right. I applied some complimentary EQ between this busses to obtain more separation. I also add a little bit of of the clean DI signal filtered HPF at 300/400 Hz, I think it adds more attack. Finally I routed the two busses to a single bus where I did a little bit of eq and some compression.
Just this, no reamp no simulation.
So I recommend you to work with the mics signals before using an amp simulation plugin because the mic signal sounds pretty good! Just pay extreme attention to the phase coherence between mic 1 and 2. try to play with the eq to achieve more separation, if you find that they sounds dull maybe add just a little bit of exiting/harmonic distortion, you can use an oxford inflator, aural exciter, decapitator or plugins like that.
I think you made a good job with the rhythmic section and the vocals, just fix the guitars and your mix will sound great!

best!

Alex
(19-11-2015, 12:08 PM)teste Wrote:
(19-11-2015, 12:29 AM)XACO Wrote: Hi Teste . you are right, something is not working with the guitars. first I used just the miked guitars, but it sounded a little dull, so I added the DI´s with a waves amp plug-in, (probably not a good choice). guitars one and two panned hard left and right, and just bit of guitar 3 DI in the middle. Sent all to a buss, filtered (HPF at 70 Hz and LPF at 11K) , some multiband compression to tame the lows , tubes emulation and gentle EQ. thats it. Maybe I should have used just the DI´s . wich amp emulation plug in do you recommend for this type of music. I have guitar rig 4 but I really don't like it that much. thanks for your feedback man!!!

Hi Xaco, I can't recommend you a specific plugin because in my mix I used only the mics signals. First I checked the phase between mics than I did a simple eq to cut the low resonances in the single tracks, blended the two mics signal to obtain a good sound, then I sent the blended signal to a dedicate bus, one for the guitar 1 and one for the guitar 2, panned hard left, hard right. I applied some complimentary EQ between this busses to obtain more separation. I also add a little bit of of the clean DI signal filtered HPF at 300/400 Hz, I think it adds more attack. Finally I routed the two busses to a single bus where I did a little bit of eq and some compression.
Just this, no reamp no simulation.
So I recommend you to work with the mics signals before using an amp simulation plugin because the mic signal sounds pretty good! Just pay extreme attention to the phase coherence between mic 1 and 2. try to play with the eq to achieve more separation, if you find that they sounds dull maybe add just a little bit of exiting/harmonic distortion, you can use an oxford inflator, aural exciter, decapitator or plugins like that.
I think you made a good job with the rhythmic section and the vocals, just fix the guitars and your mix will sound great!

best!

Alex

Hi Alex, I followed your advice and remixed the song. I took your mix as reference, I really like what you did on guitars. I still used some of the Di´s tracks, cos the miked guitars by themselves didnt quite cut it for me. I had to realign the DI´s tracks to get rid of the phassing and then EQed the bus to recover some low mids. I think it souds a bit better but changes are not very drastic. tell me what you think if you find the time. thanks again, take care.

.mp3    HollowGround_IllFate_Full MIXXX 2.mp3 --  (Download: 5.42 MB)

Hi Xaco! you made a great improve with the guitars! The timbre is good but I think now they're much present, and the drums are maybe too much in the back, sometimes you lose the kick, but this is my personal taste =) you made a good job!
A mix is never finished, only abandoned !! jajaja!! Im sure that if I keep fixing it, I`ll end up fucking it up. thanks for your feedback Alex !