Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion of Semantics mixes and my version
(I'm doing something wrong, apparently, this post is like 3000 pixels wide even though I resized the images to 640 px wide...? Sorry about that; I'll try to figure it out and repost if necessary.)

Hello all; I know I'm late to this thread but I just got Mike Senior's book a few weeks ago and found myself here. One of the songs I liked to try my hand mixing was this one (which incidentally is a great song to begin with.)

Reading through all the threads was fascinating and gave me a lot of ideas and things to check myself on. I am still a beginner/student so please take everything I say skeptically.

First of all, thanks kindly to the band and wurstdrummer for putting their hard work on this site for anyone to play with. It is much appreciated.

Also if I can ask a dumb question: I know what DI is, but what does "DT" mean in a track name?

Mr Gandon's mix definitely seems to have ended up mono: I downloaded the MP3 and did a L-R operation on it (channel conversion with (100% L) + (-100% R) in Sound Forge and it ended up an essentially empty file. The mages are at the bottom: I hope this board doesn't have a problem with them.

For my part the track seemed to mix itself. I didn't spend very long on it at all (of course if my mix sucks that could be a reason) but I wanted to retain some of the energy and rawness of it without shortchanging the cool ("progressive") arrangement.

I did notice that it indeed seems to be the style to mix/master quite loud. A lot of the tracks were like -9 LU while mine ended up around -12. I guess it depends what the target audience and playback system is you're mixing for. I've attached screen shots of what Apache Foreskin, wurstdrummer and my mixes looked like (and some L-R graphs so you can get some idea of phase cancellation -- I know that is a lot more complicated than what these graphics can show).

Sorry about the size of the images, I probably should have scaled them down a bit, hopefully it's not too inconvenient.

Any comments or questions are welcome.

Cheers
Tim S.

wurstdrummer's mix with stats

[Image: wurst-original-with-stats3.png]

Wurst mix L-R mono convert

[Image: wurst-l-r3.png]

Bill Gandon's mix with stats

[Image: bill-g-mix-with-stats3.png]

Bill G mono convert showing L-R phase cancel

[Image: bill-g-mix3.png]

Apache foreskin mix with stats

[Image: apache-mix3.png]

My Mix with stats

[Image: my-mix3.png]

My Mix with L-R mono convert

[Image: my-mix-l-r3.png]

.mp3    20151115 Forkupine_Semantics 04.mp3 --  (Download: 10.33 MB)